Umpire calls interference on himself

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Runner on 1B steals. Catcher makes bad throw and runner moves to 3rd on play. HP ump sends runner back to 1st and says he got in the catchers way when she threw. Good call or bad call?

Sep 29, 2014
Unfortunately I think bad call. It's the catchers responsibility to clear the batter (assuming they don't do something intentional or unorthodox) and the umpire. Happens all the time ball rolls through catcher hits ump or ump hits ball trying to get out of the way...it's just part of the game...at least that's my unofficial take...stand by for some professional analysis from someone who has actually umpired this decade.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Runner on 1B steals. Catcher makes bad throw and runner moves to 3rd on play. HP ump sends runner back to 1st and says he got in the catchers way when she threw. Good call or bad call?

Correct call. USA 8.6.F

Jun 22, 2008
Correct call in all softball rule sets if the plate umpire interferes with the catcher attempting to throw on a steal or pickoff attempt. Any other time the plate umpire is just part of the field.

Apr 20, 2015
What happens to the pitch? In a Mizzou game this year runner got sent back to first and pitcher got to keep the strike on the batter.. didn't like it but it seemed right since the strike happened before the interference

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
What happens to the pitch? In a Mizzou game this year runner got sent back to first and pitcher got to keep the strike on the batter.. didn't like it but it seemed right since the strike happened before the interference

The umpire had nothing to do with the strike so why wouldn't it stand?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
The umpire had nothing to do with the strike so why wouldn't it stand?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's why I thought it seemed right... didn't like it cause it was my team...lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23