umpire awards ball to punish catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
What the heck is Rec All Stars? And it was Rec Ball, why even argue with an umpire in Rec Ball?

When we first started rec ball we were associated with Little League International. They have a Little League World Series for softball just like they do for baseball. Softball is played in Portland, OR while baseball is in Williamsport, PA. Some of the games are even televised on ESPN.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This isn't a case of "arguing balls and strikes" imo. This is an umpire not doing his job.

Once he admits he's purposefully calling a strike a ball for punitive reasons that appear nowhere in the rule book, that seems like some kind of grounds for a protest, at least. The "rule" he's applying is "The catcher didn't catch it so it's a ball." That's not a rule.

Of course, the minute you protest he'll probably lie and just say he's calling 'em as he sees 'em, because a guy who would do this certainly isn't above lying once he's called out on it.

Jan 27, 2019
There was a lot of discussion about this incident in the past, and further details have come up about it since the original discussion. The catcher and pitcher were both in on it, which is why the ump ejected them both. It was a justified ejection from a high-quality ump.

I had not seen the one posted on here earlier. I know this one was totally justified

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I had not seen the one posted on here earlier. I know this one was totally justified

Yep. That one's been around for a while. At least one player lost their scholarship over that play.

The one I posted was video I took last year during one of my DD's games.

Jun 12, 2015
Yep. That one's been around for a while. At least one player lost their scholarship over that play.

The one I posted was video I took last year during one of my DD's games.

As well they should have. That one, she didn't even pretend like she was going to try to catch it.

Feb 26, 2018
And people wonder why less and less people want to ump. What is it about kids sports that brings out the worst in grown adults? These games are only possible because there are umpires there to call the game. I bet there are very few who are doing this for the money and the majority are doing it for love of the game. This is just absolutely uncalled for in my opinion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2