umpire awards ball to punish catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Only way I would think about doing that is if the catcher missed it on purpose....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

This is a hotly debated topic amongst umpires ... or I just get hot debating it because it drives me up a proverbial wall.

There is a school of thought that is actually taught in clinics, camps, and umpire schools that the catcher should “handle” the pitch in order to get a strike call. That school teaches that you, the umpire, look bad if you call a strike that bounces, eludes the cacher, etc

Personally, I do NOT agree with this at all. A strike is clearly defined ... it may not always be clearly seen, but it is clearly defined ... and the catcher’s actions have NOTHING to do with that. Whether those actions are mishandling, missing, or even trying to sell a pitch by moving the glove after the catch ... NONE of that should make any difference.

You should find direction elsewhere. I have never taught or ever heard any other instructor even come close to such a comment at any school or clinic whether local, regional or national
[/QUOTE]

Mar 7, 2016
Back to the question at hand ...

As was mentioned, arguing balls and strikes is a fool’s errand. Nonetheless ...

This is a hotly debated topic amongst umpires ... or I just get hot debating it because it drives me up a proverbial wall.

There is a school of thought that is actually taught in clinics, camps, and umpire schools that the catcher should “handle” the pitch in order to get a strike call. That school teaches that you, the umpire, look bad if you call a strike that bounces, eludes the cacher, etc.

Personally, I do NOT agree with this at all. A strike is clearly defined ... it may not always be clearly seen, but it is clearly defined ... and the catcher’s actions have NOTHING to do with that. Whether those actions are mishandling, missing, or even trying to sell a pitch by moving the glove after the catch ... NONE of that should make any difference.

This happened to us this past weekend in a UTRIP B class tournament. We were not getting the close calls on what my catcher informed me me were definitely over the plate on the corners. So in passing the next inning I asked the blue how far off were my pitchers missing. His exact statement was "your catcher is framing her glove back towards the middle every pitch, so every time she moves her glove im calling a ball" i asked "are you watching her glove or watching where the ball crosses the plate?" he replies "well im watching where it crosses the plate but paying attention to her glove"... Very same inning pitch comes in about chin high catcher on other team snags it drops her glove down low and straight out and he rings up a strike, it was very clear he was paying attention to only the catchers glove and not the pitch. So i instructed my catcher to remain motionless at the catch regardless of location. He would call a strike regardless of the location as long as my catcher didnt move...

The field ump overheard my question and came into my dugout the next inning, she was a former player and catcher at that. She was heated and told me the other blue had zero business calling a game and that our catcher was doing every thing she was every instructed to do at the college level.

However i never did argue his calls either way just looked for clarification on where we were missing.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
Back to the question at hand ...

As was mentioned, arguing balls and strikes is a fool’s errand. Nonetheless ...

There is a school of thought that is actually taught in clinics, camps, and umpire schools that the catcher should “handle” the pitch in order to get a strike call. That school teaches that you, the umpire, look bad if you call a strike that bounces, eludes the cacher, etc.

Blue- How would you handle an ump that is all over the place with his calls? If I’m pitching and not getting legit strike calls my 1st instinct is to approach the ump respectfully and ask where was that? Or where do you want it because I can’t do better than that.
We had a case in MS ball a 10 inning highly competitive game that the ump was very friendly with the other team and was squeezing our pitcher like crazy. Wasn’t calling strikes high in the zone or low. We actually struck a girl out at least twice in the tenth and he just wouldn’t call strikes strikes.
I understand it’s the pitchers job to adjust to where the ump seems to like it but when the ump is inconsistent or in all honestly just lousy not much course of action to take.
I feel for the umps especially when there is only one working a game. When I see guys wearing blue shirts I expect them to know there stuff and be good and impartial.
Parents umpiring well you know what your getting when that has to happen.

Jan 27, 2019
Blue- How would you handle an ump that is all over the place with his calls? If I’m pitching and not getting legit strike calls my 1st instinct is to approach the ump respectfully and ask where was that? Or where do you want it because I can’t do better than that.
We had a case in MS ball a 10 inning highly competitive game that the ump was very friendly with the other team and was squeezing our pitcher like crazy. Wasn’t calling strikes high in the zone or low. We actually struck a girl out at least twice in the tenth and he just wouldn’t call strikes strikes.
I understand it’s the pitchers job to adjust to where the ump seems to like it but when the ump is inconsistent or in all honestly just lousy not much course of action to take.
I feel for the umps especially when there is only one working a game. When I see guys wearing blue shirts I expect them to know there stuff and be good and impartial.
Parents umpiring well you know what your getting when that has to happen.

I have coached and now almost exclusively umpire since my girls have aged out and moved on from the game so I feel your pain.
Unfortunately you often have no recourse during the game. Like it or not he has final say on the field. Some states or organizations allow protests, you can use the protest route if so. If you cannot protest, someone assigned him the job. Find his assigner (Local board, UIC, tournament director) and document your complaint with him. May not help this time but might in the future.

You have every right to speak to the umpire, just remember the lessons you are teaching the girls who are watching you. In life you will face unfair situations. Do you knuckle down and try to overcome or do you complain and gripe and quit trying? Do not let the negative situation dictate who you are. Do you yell and scream and berate someone else? Too much of that in the world today. Teach the girls that not everyone is so good at their job, that does not change your job. We can overcome the deficiencies of others even if we do not end up on top of the scoreboard. Life is not all about the final score. It's about becoming better because of the struggle. Let these valuable lessons of life take hold early. Most of your girls will be finished with softball after high school, a few will play college and be done. Work on the life lessons that will be with them after softball. You have a pretty big influence on who they become.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802