umpire awards ball to punish catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
That's a very strange and IMO inappropriate interaction.

Her water jug was inside our dugout and we had been conversing all game. They were disagreeing on calls all game, having conversations especially turning an appeal. IMO she was spot on the money inappropriate or not, also not the first time the field ump had verbally agreed with our opinion of the plate ump. Usually though we are talking in private out of ear shot of people about adjusting to their calls when i get opinions.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You didn’t specify which part ... I’m assuming you are taking exception with the part about catchers handling the ball. If so, I am in FULL agreement with you.

There is a school of thought that is actually taught in clinics, camps, and umpire schools that the catcher should “handle” the pitch in order to get a strike call. That school teaches that you, the umpire, look bad if you call a strike that bounces, eludes the catcher, etc

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
You requested a timeout.....to argue a called ball?
the umpire had stated that it was a strike but was calling it a ball because the catcher missed it and it hit him. I just needed to make sure I had heard him correctly that's why I called time..wasn't arguing whether it was a ball or strike, I wanted to know why he said what he said. I guess the title of the thread should have been pitcher gets punished for catcher not catching a initially call strike then changing the call to a ball because it hit him......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802