UMM.... Hillhouse take a look at this! Hello Elbow!?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Wow... I have no idea who this person is but she sure seems to know a lot about me!! I'm not sure what she means about how I throw "each pitch differently". Of course I spin the ball differently but the mechanics stay the same, I think. I mean, I've seen more than a few videos of myself pitching and I think I had a decent idea of what I'm looking for. But maybe she knows more than me. I also loved how she said people refer to me as the "best pitcher ever". I'd say I ranked about #146 out of 100 of the best pitchers ever soooooo, my ranking by her is a little off. :) LOL

I have not read through their entire website, yet but I will. The one thing that stood out to me on a comedic level was one of their "head pitching instructors" is named Cat Klosterman. It reminded me of the Coming to America movie where John Amos had a resturant called "McDowells" and make it look like McDonalds, altering the logo slightly, etc. The first and last name of this pitching coach soundling like Cat Osterman has to be something they all laugh at and joke about, assuming they have good sense of humor.

I plan on emailing the owner of that website to say hello and introduce myself. I'll start with "Dear Abby..." which is another pop culture reference. lol. (Website owner's name is Abby Hanrahan).
Just an update on this.... these ladies never wrote back to me. I'm absolutely used to female rejection but, they gals just ignored me completely. I gotta tip my cap to them for that. :)

Jan 25, 2022
Just an update on this.... these ladies never wrote back to me. I'm absolutely used to female rejection but, they gals just ignored me completely. I gotta tip my cap to them for that. :)

Kinda unrelated, but I saw you post on facebook at some point about there being no such thing has a screwball. Something like that. Can you elaborate on that? Seems like you said something about it just being an inside pitch, but doesn't a "screwball" move? Talk to me like I'm 4 years old.

Aug 21, 2008
Kinda unrelated, but I saw you post on facebook at some point about there being no such thing has a screwball. Something like that. Can you elaborate on that? Seems like you said something about it just being an inside pitch, but doesn't a "screwball" move? Talk to me like I'm 4 years old.
Sure. There are 2 movement pitches, forced movement and spin movement. So, the basic premise of throwing movement pitches in baseball or softball is the ball moves in the direction of it's spin. In softball, for example, a dropball should spin forward, a riseball SHOULD spin backward, a curve would spin sideways. It simply isn't possible for a RHP to make a ball spin in a manner that would curve inward to a RHB. The best a pitcher can hope for is bullet spin. Bullet spin keeps the ball straight. This is why bullets fired out of a gun don't curve. The spin keeps the bullet straight.

So, as a result of the inability to spin the ball to spin that way, RHP's are taught to step WAYYYY left and angle the pitch inside. So, the ball ends up inside on the RHB and people want to believe it's because the ball "screwed" inside. By this logic, a slowpitch pitcher throws a NASTY dropball because when he throws the ball up high, it has a sharp drop to it. It's almost the same thing!! Stepping to your left, and throwing the ball at an angle to the right isn't a spin pitch, it's simply throwing the ball inside.

Make sense?

Feb 25, 2020
Sure. There are 2 movement pitches, forced movement and spin movement. So, the basic premise of throwing movement pitches in baseball or softball is the ball moves in the direction of it's spin. In softball, for example, a dropball should spin forward, a riseball SHOULD spin backward, a curve would spin sideways. It simply isn't possible for a RHP to make a ball spin in a manner that would curve inward to a RHB. The best a pitcher can hope for is bullet spin. Bullet spin keeps the ball straight. This is why bullets fired out of a gun don't curve. The spin keeps the bullet straight.

So, as a result of the inability to spin the ball to spin that way, RHP's are taught to step WAYYYY left and angle the pitch inside. So, the ball ends up inside on the RHB and people want to believe it's because the ball "screwed" inside. By this logic, a slowpitch pitcher throws a NASTY dropball because when he throws the ball up high, it has a sharp drop to it. It's almost the same thing!! Stepping to your left, and throwing the ball at an angle to the right isn't a spin pitch, it's simply throwing the ball inside.

Make sense?

Bill, in this video you use the word "screw" to describe your spin.

What I think is you describe a drop that also goes a little in(can make a drop go a little in or out). Can you elaborate on this? I don't think a RHP can throw a rise that goes a little in on a right handed batter(or a true "3-9 screwball"). Seems impossible

Jun 8, 2016
Bill, in this video you use the word "screw" to describe your spin.

What I think is you describe a drop that also goes a little in(can make a drop go a little in or out). Can you elaborate on this? I don't think a RHP can throw a rise that goes a little in on a right handed batter(or a true "3-9 screwball"). Seems impossible

Balls can move due to other means besides Magnus forces (look up seam shifted wake..)

Jun 8, 2016
I'm well aware. I think it's a "nomenclature" issue when you boil it down. But I am interested as to how Bill clarifies this.
Yeah. Balls can have screwball movement due to the abovementioned seam shifted wake but in baseball at least they aren’t called screwballs 🤷🏽‍♂️ I don’t know if anybody throws a true screwball in baseball anymore.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah. Balls can have screwball movement due to the abovementioned seam shifted wake but in baseball at least they aren’t called screwballs 🤷🏽‍♂️ I don’t know if anybody throws a true screwball in baseball anymore.
I think Fernando Valenzuela was the last guy to use it with any regularity. Yes, I'm dating myself with that reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478