Ugh! Season might have just ended for DD in the first game.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
First regular game of our rec ball season tonight and DD (10u) took a pitch off the side of her foot, right above the sole of her cleat just behind the ball of the foot. Can't put any weight on it or flex it. It is swelling up. She has a very high threshold for pain, and hid it so she could try to run the bases, but as soon as we hit the dugout she was crying. We have iced it and she is now in bed with it elevated. Also gave her ibuprofen. Will go for x-rays in the morning. I hope it is just a bad bruise. We are supposed to go skiing in 3 weeks for spring break too. How easy is it for young kids to break a bone in the foot? I haven't clocked this pitcher before, but estimate she was throwing 40-42mph. Ball didn"t hit the ground first either. It was a straight shot off the foot.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Did you rub dirt on it? If not, she is doomed.

Hope she is OK. I would say it is unusual/rare for any bones to break on something like that ... but freak things can happen.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You are doing the right thing by going for an x-ray. More than likely it is just badly bruised but anything is possible. When DD was that age she liked setting her adjustable basket just high enough so she could dunk. She landed funny once and her foot started to swell. Didnt think much of it and took her to her basketball game that night. Finished as leading scorer but was visibly in pain by the end. We learned the next day that there was a broken bone. Apparently there are some very small bones in the foot that can break easily.

Aug 2, 2019
Did you rub dirt on it? If not, she is doomed.

Hope she is OK. I would say it is unusual/rare for any bones to break on something like that ... but freak things can happen.
When DD was 6 or 7, she took a grounder to the ankle. I told her to rub some dirt on it. She did. For the rest of the game. When we got home and she took her cleats off dirt went flying everywhere. She had filled her shoes completely full of dirt.

Lancer, I hope your DD has quick recovery.

May 29, 2015
One year on my daughter’s 14u team ... we were playing a tournament on turf. Our ragtag catcher took a foul ball to the shin guard — nothing major, but you could tell she felt it. She got up and walked around a bit and her dad yells “Rub some dirt on it and get back in there!”

She stops, looks around at the ground, looks up at him and yells back, “I’m going to have to come out! It’s turf!”

On the other side ... last year my wife had to have surgery to “clean out” her ankle. Apparently when she was a kid she had broken/chipped a bone and never knew it. The fragments had been in there grinding for decades. Like I said, fluke things can happen.

Feb 15, 2017
One year on my daughter’s 14u team ... we were playing a tournament on turf. Our ragtag catcher took a foul ball to the shin guard — nothing major, but you could tell she felt it. She got up and walked around a bit and her dad yells “Rub some dirt on it and get back in there!”

She stops, looks around at the ground, looks up at him and yells back, “I’m going to have to come out! It’s turf!”

On the other side ... last year my wife had to have surgery to “clean out” her ankle. Apparently when she was a kid she had broken/chipped a bone and never knew it. The fragments had been in there grinding for decades. Like I said, fluke things can happen.

Did you say 14u? Guessing she was blonde? :)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
... her dad yells “Rub some dirt on it and get back in there!”

LOL!
I couldn't give a laughing emoji to your entire post; didn't want to look like I was laughing at your wife's situation.

May 6, 2015
DD1 once hurt her foot sliding down a snow covered dirt pile at friends house, hit a rock. was bruised, but we thought it would blow over. four days later, school nurse calls, and says we really might want to have her checked out, she was in a lot of pain and limping. one day and one x ray later, broken foot. we felt horrible

DD2 broke her toe (when standing next to DD1 seated in metal folding chair, and DD1 went to scootch the chair and the leg settled on DD2s toes), X ray revealed not only that break, but a floating chip in her foot from no one knew when. since it was not causing any issues, Dr said leave it alone

best wishes for speedy recovery, keep us posted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28