UCLA's youngest commit ever

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2013
A 2019 player got an offer at a D-I camp last weekend that DD attended. Was not a pitcher.

So, why is this a bad thing?

Not saying it is, or isn't. Haven't thought about it enough to form an opinion.

And if it is bad, how do you stop it? You would have to limit contact because as long as coaches and their representatives can talk, they will get around the rule. If you outlaw offers and commitments, then it becomes, "I know I can't offer you anything, but just know that if you want to come here, the chances of me sending you the paperwork in November of your senior year is very, very, very high if you know what I mean.''

You allow offers at any age but make them 100% binding.
The "market" will correct itself.

Parents and kids won't put any faith in offers the school isn't willing to put in writing and schools won't extend offers
past the point they have some level of certainty in the kids' academic and athletic success.

Is it "bad" the way things are now?
Probably. The less whispers and winks needed in a process the better.

Mar 26, 2013
With conferences adopting guaranteed 4-year scholarships for all players, I wonder if some coaches are renegotiating verbal offers they don't want to guarantee for 4 years.
How does a 4-year partial scholarship work vs. a 4-year full ride? I know of a couple of players who received offers that increased over time - say 50% for the first two years, 75% as a junior and 100% as a senior.
I was thinking about shorter-term awards (e.g. 1 year). Coach may have more money available that year, but doesn't have it in succeeding years and/or doesn't want to commit to that amount for all 4 years.

From what I've read, the move is to all awards being 4-years and guaranteed it won't be reduced for athletic performance or injury. That doesn't mean all deals have to be for the same amount each year. BTW, schools are currently allowed to restructure multiyear deals without it being considered a reduction as long as the total amount isn't lowered. Obviously, that is not feasible with a 4-year full ride.

15.3.2.3.1 Reduction of a Multiyear Award. A reduction of a multiyear award shall occur if the renewal period is for fewer years than the original agreement, unless the renewal includes the remaining years of the student-athlete’s eligibility in all sports (e.g., five-year period of eligibility) or if the average amount of aid provided per year in the renewal is less than the average amount of aid provided per year in the original agreement, including any increases during the period of the original award. (Adopted: 10/27/11 effective 8/1/12; awards may be executed before 8/1/12)

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
A fully funded DI school has 12 scholarships to give every year. They can be split any way they see fit. Look at some of the bigger DI rosters online. They have 20 kids. Do the math. If the top 5 kids get 100%, that leaves 7 scholarships for the other 15 players. DII has 7 to give. When you hear Suzy's Mom telling you about her full ride offer to Middle OF Nowhere U, know that it is probably not the whole truth. The majority of players that actually continue to college will use academic money, coupled with any athletic money, grants, financial aid and student loans. The best part of academic money is you get to keep it no matter what happens on the field. If your DD gets through college and doesn't owe the government a small fortune, you did a great job.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Just read this article. Amazing talent. Blows me away that this girl is only a year older than my DD.

https://www.fullcountsoftball.com/2015/01/24/ucla-gets-youngest-verbal-ever-124/

This is ridiculous...from your link...

Originally from El Paso, Texas, Lexi—who goes by the nickname “SOS”—is already 5-foot-9 and throws 64 mph in the circle and is a dangerous hitter at the plate as well.

Last summer she hit .478 with 16 home runs and 104 RBI and in the circle went 42-3 with a 1.4 ERA and 289 K’s. This winter, she’s even doing better: a .575 average with seven homers and 41 RBI already and a 12-1 pitching record with a 0.98 ERA.

I'm fascinated that her ERA isn't lower and that she lost 3 games...CP

A 2019 player got an offer at a D-I camp last weekend that DD attended. Was not a pitcher.

So, why is this a bad thing?

Not saying it is, or isn't. Haven't thought about it enough to form an opinion.

And if it is bad, how do you stop it? You would have to limit contact because as long as coaches and their representatives can talk, they will get around the rule. If you outlaw offers and commitments, then it becomes, "I know I can't offer you anything, but just know that if you want to come here, the chances of me sending you the paperwork in November of your senior year is very, very, very high if you know what I mean.''

I read somewhere where the NCAA rules committee was looking into making a verbal commitment a legally binding thing and it would carry a 1 year scholarship with it so verballing a young recruit would commit the college to at least a 1 year scholarship. This would stop early recruiting. IMHO

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
UCLA, and other top tier schools have had coaches with staying power, so it's a little different in those places, but it's just odd to commit 5 years before you can enroll when the current coach in many(most?) cases won't last 3.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sophomore that won state championship last year is committed to Purdue-so I am told.

Are you referring to a current sophomore, or a sophomore last year? My DD is currently a sophomore (2017) and is verballed to Purdue, but she did NOT win a state championship last year....

Jul 26, 2010
There is no down side for a school accepting a verbal commitment for a player. It won't end until there is a downside for the school.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812