Ucla

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Amusement parks was just 1 thing I spoke about, beaches and weather are also very important to teenaged kids.

Our 13 year old hates the rain, last year in Colorado when the camps and games had to be delayed because of rain and lightening she said she doesn't want to go to school where it rains a lot and said she could see why the northwest has a high suicide rate. Right now she is going crazy, every weekend this year has rained, it's March and they've barely played 5 games all year.

Jan 27, 2019
Well, I dont really think ucla has fallen down on the job of recruiting CA talent. 23 of 25 players are from CA including 3 of the last 4 gatorade NPoY and a host of high school all-americans.

I know many young women from CA who have played for WA or OR who absolutely love the PNW and the easy access to outdoor opportunities and laid back environment. I've known a couple who thought Norman was quaint and charming and really loved the softball community feeling. Different people are going to value different environments and coaching styles, but beaches or amusement parks? Never heard those.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Most the people in California suck, just watch 5 mins of the Oscars and you'll see that.

However, if ball is what you're going to school for then the weather in So Cal is the best in the nation for it. Add the nation's best beaches and amusement parks and you have what all teenagers would want.
People's excrement smells the same everywhere you go, would you rather smell it with nice weather and lots of stuff to do or would you rather smell it where there's nothing to do and the weather sucks?

If the weather, crowded beaches and Disney Land is enough for you to surround yourself with people that suck, that is your choice.

If a top recruit or anyone else wants to free themselves from the festering hole that is CA I think they made a wise decision.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
If ucla does not win the national championship this year, their head coach needs to be fired. If she isn't fired then you know that Dan Guerero does not care about the softball program.
The bruins are the only P5 program in the heart of softball country and the #1 player in the area should never sign with another school if the bruins coach was doing her job.
If the #1 prep football player in the country lived in Nebraska (or Ohio) and the Cornhuskers (or Buckeyes) did not sign him, then those coaches would be fired, and I guarantee they bring in more money to their athletic programs than ucla's head softball coach brings in to Westwood.
No excuses. She has the only P5 program in Southern California and before she was hired the bruins had never gone more than 4 years in between national championships. In her 12 seasons at the head of ucla's program, they've only won one championship, none in the last EIGHT years. Unacceptable

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
If ucla does not win the national championship this year, their head coach needs to be fired. If she isn't fired then you know that Dan Guerero does not care about the softball program.
The bruins are the only P5 program in the heart of softball country and the #1 player in the area should never sign with another school if the bruins coach was doing her job.
If the #1 prep football player in the country lived in Nebraska (or Ohio) and the Cornhuskers (or Buckeyes) did not sign him, then those coaches would be fired, and I guarantee they bring in more money to their athletic programs than ucla's head softball coach brings in to Westwood.
No excuses. She has the only P5 program in Southern California and before she was hired the bruins had never gone more than 4 years in between national championships. In her 12 seasons at the head of ucla's program, they've only won one championship, none in the last EIGHT years. Unacceptable

I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to the school. I'm sure they'll take your advice seriously, and get on with making the changes you have suggested.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017

The national landscape in softball has shifted eastward to the Southeast and Oklahoma. The PAC12 hasn't won a championship since 2011. Along with Perez, you would need to fire Heather Tarr and Mike Candrea too :)

Competition in the sport has increased dramatically. It's simply much harder to win now.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
The national landscape in softball has shifted eastward to the Southeast and Oklahoma. The PAC12 hasn't won a championship since 2011. Along with Perez, you would need to fire Heather Tarr and Mike Candrea too :)

Competition in the sport has increased dramatically. It's simply much harder to win now.

8 of the top 20 prep prospects in the nation are from Southern California (according to Softball America) and Southern California has just 1 Power 5 softball program.
Arizona has just 1 player in the top 20 and the state has 2 P5 programs.
Washington has 2 top 20 players and just 1 P5 program. The huskies have only ever won 1 national championship and Tarr won that for them.
The bruins never went more than 4 years without winning a national championship and are located in fast pitch softballs epicenter where the most players and most coaches come from. There's no excuse for the bruins to not have won a title in 8 years

Maybe there is just more parity now because of the failure of ucla's head coach. Only 2 of those 8 players from Southern California are going to Southern California's only P5 program.

Last edited:

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
8 of the top 20 prep prospects in the nation are from Southern California (according to Softball America) and Southern California has just 1 Power 5 softball program.
Arizona has just 1 player in the top 20 and the state has 2 P5 programs.
Washington has 2 top 20 players and just 1 P5 program. The huskies have only ever won 1 national championship and Tarr won that for them.
The bruins never went more than 4 years without winning a national championship and are located in fast pitch softballs epicenter where the most players and most coaches come from. There's no excuse for the bruins to not have won a title in 8 years

Maybe there is just more parity now because of the failure of ucla's head coach. Only 2 of those 8 players from Southern California are going to Southern California's only P5 program.

The fact that S. California only has 1 Power 5 softball program is pretty amazing. I mean, there's only one other P5 school, but still.

That said. UCLA, to my eyes, looks like the best program in the country right now. FSU is close. Both teams have incredible hitting. UCLA's pitching staff looks one cut above FSU though.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
And if they don't, Guerero better fire the coach and hire someone who can win with a stacked deck

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28