Ucla

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Wasn't even close..
Florida is no where near as strong as UCLA. They play again Friday and Garcia should pitch, so it's not gonna get any easier for the Gators.

Nov 27, 2012
What happened to Barnhill? She gave up 6 hits and 2 ER in 2 innings. I was expecting her to be dominating in her senior year.

Apr 28, 2014
What happened to Barnhill? She gave up 6 hits and 2 ER in 2 innings. I was expecting her to be dominating in her senior year.

After the second Illegal Pitch called she was done. Walton gets away with it against the UCFs of the world. When UCLA coaches speak umps listen

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
You seriously think these places actually matter to kids who grow up in So Cal when deciding which college to attend??? LMAO. You might get the occasional Disney-junkie in the mix, but I would bet proximity to family is a bigger factor - a MUCH bigger factor - than access to amusement parks.

What sort of amusement is there in Norman? Eugene? Tuscaloosa? Tucson?

While a teen in So Cal may not go to Magic Mountain more than 3 or 4 times a year, what do those cities have that is close?

My kids, aged 13-23 all grew up in So Cal and all still go to Magic Mountain 3 or 4 times a year plus Knotts and Universal Studios for Halloween every year.

My 23 year old went to USC, our 20 year old is at Pepperdine and our 18 year old is at UCSD. All of them visited schools elsewhere, the 18 year old almost went to ASU but it was too far away from the beach for her and she said there were no roller coasters there.

The 16 and 13 year olds don't know where they want to go, the 16 year old is probably the only one who will want to leave So Cal, he likes things that this state is starting to frown on too much

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
What sort of amusement is there in Norman? Eugene? Tuscaloosa? Tucson? ...

I can't tell if you're just being intentionally obtuse or don't actually realize that you're providing examples for how little high level athletes care about amusement parks when choosing a university. Norman hasn't had any trouble bringing in professional prospects and Olympic-level athletes in everything from gymnastics to football. Eugene hasn't been hurting for stars. Tuscaloosa? Really? Are they having some trouble convincing teenagers to come to school there that I don't know about? Nick Saban must be practicing some kind of witchcraft, if so.

Do you believe that most 16-18 year old girls aren't smart or mature enough to make life-changing decisions based on factors outside of who has the best roller-coasters?

Jun 8, 2016

While a teen in So Cal may not go to Magic Mountain more than 3 or 4 times a year, what do those cities have that is close?

My kids, aged 13-23 all grew up in So Cal and all still go to Magic Mountain 3 or 4 times a year plus Knotts and Universal Studios for Halloween every year.

My 23 year old went to USC, our 20 year old is at Pepperdine and our 18 year old is at UCSD. All of them visited schools elsewhere, the 18 year old almost went to ASU but it was too far away from the beach for her and she said there were no roller coasters there.

The 16 and 13 year olds don't know where they want to go, the 16 year old is probably the only one who will want to leave So Cal, he likes things that this state is starting to frown on too much

In all honesty, how much time do you think athletes have to go to amusement parks??I played D3 baseball for a few years and in those years I did nothing but study and workout..and the school I went to was a 10 minute ride on the T
from Boston. I cannot imagine how little time D1 athletes have to do anything. After I stopped playing I did have more time obviously but I just ended up studying more lol..

In terms of things to do in Norman, I think we must have the most Thai restaurants per capita in the country..that has to count for something no??:D

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

I was born in So Cal, and am raising both of my girls (20 and 14) in So Cal.

My older DD's college decisions have been based on her academic track and a desire to stay close to family. She's not a college athlete, but amusement parks still had zero affect on her college path.

While my younger DD and I were in Eugene a bit over a year ago, we were walking around town during the evening. She commented, "This place is weird...I love it!" She's had similar warm and fuzzy feelings about other places in the PNW that we've visited. Something about that environment resonates with her, and she's made it clear that this is the area where she wants to go to college. As such, she will be looking at schools in that area with softball programs, and the academic track she wants (once she figures out what that is - LOL).

It seems that you've made amusement parks an important part of your family life. That works for you guys, and is apparently reflected in the decisions your kids are making (or have made). That doesn't mean everyone else feels the same. I've talked to quite a few softball players and their parents about college goals and decisions over the past couple of years. Not even once has the topic of amusement parks been part of the conversation about where and why they want to go to a particular place. Strength of the softball program, strength of their preferred academic track, and distance from home, however, are very typical topics in those conversations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802