Typical price for lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2018
SE Michigan... There's a lot of places/hitting coaches around here that charge by the half hour. Luckily my DD's HC does hitting lessons which is nice because he has a vested interest in her success lol

Oct 4, 2018
I totally understand this and that’s not at all what I’m trying to do here. I work with the girls all the time. But I also travel a lot for work during the week so it’d be nice to be able to have a current college player work with them a bit each week. It helps me out a lot plus they are super excited that they are going to be working with a young lady thats in college and currently plays softball for her school. I think there may be some here that are looking way too deep into this and not the simple situation it is.

Also, I really do appreciate all the responses I’ve gotten so far. This has really given me a good idea of what to expect later down the road should they get more serious about the sport.

Sorry, wasn't talking to you at all. My apologies.

I don't feel you're anywhere close to receiving that comment. It was just a general comment, and more of a statement against the types of parents who would never be on this site. I know several. They don't lift a finger to learn or help. They just are blessed with lots of money and throw it at the problem and are puzzled when it's not working.

Apr 28, 2014
May seem obvious but don't equate the price of a lesson with the quality of the instruction. I've seen pitching coaches charge $100/hr who didn't teach proper mechanics while the $50/hr guy was spot on.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Most are around $70/hour here in MN Metro area. We do catching/hitting lessons for our daughter, options for catching lessons are a little more limited than pitching/fielding/hitting around here and playing for a town association I avoided organizations that have club teams.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
For girls in our org only, in the winter we do Tuesday nights $25 for 50 minutes for semi-private (max 4) hitting, pitching, and catching. Basically covers the cost of the facility, and a few of the coaches (some coaches - e.g. me - donate time). It's a break-even for the org.

May 6, 2015
I know of an instructor who used to do once a week in off season 1 hour of open pitch, she would have a small indoor soccer field area, and whatever pitchers showed up, showed up, catchers free, pitchers $25, they would progress thorugh a number of pitching drills (one foot hopping, laying down rising and throwing, etc.). then, the second hour was "open hit", again $25 per, depending on number of girls, 4-8 stations (mostly tee stations, bottom hand, top hand, soccer balls off tees, weird bent hitting tool, then also some live pitch). if you did both, $40

Oct 19, 2019
Here's a fresh idea:

Do it yourself.

Learn solid technique and spend an hour or so a day working on it with them. Add to it as they master it.

I remember the first time I worked on fielding with my kid, the conversation is burnt into my brain and I still use it when I'm working with the kids now.

Me: "Who was the toughest dinosaur around?"

Kids: "T-Rex!"

Me : "Do you know why he was so tough?"

Kids: "......"

Me: "He was so tough because he was in a great stance. His knees were bent, his arms were short, he had wrinkles in the back of his neck because he had his head up so he could see everything that was coming at him."

My kid is 20, I still tell her to "you need to get some wrinkles in that neck, little kid" every now and then.

Always gets me a big smile.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
There are places that charge upwards of $150 just to “evaluate” your kid in one session to tell you what they can fix if you decide to take lessons from them. DD’s pitching coach had her take a lesson for free to see if she liked his style. Maybe he loses money that way but he always seems pretty busy.

I guess it also depends on the facility and the overhead. We, personally, don‘t need the fancy academies and all their high-tech equipment. An iPad works just fine for the trained eye to review proper mechanics. Both DD’s pitching and hitting coaches work out of their garages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802