Typical price for lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
At 7 and 9 biggest thing you can do is work with them as often as you can....not sure weekly lessons would even be needed you could probably do every other if you work with them at home alot or even monthly for a status check. A lot depends though on your level of knowledge you are still probably at the age where they will half listen to you so you should make progress. Honestly biggest reason I had my kids listen to other coaches as they got older is just so they could here the other coach say the same thing I was telling them except there was a better chance they would listen to someone else.

Oct 4, 2018
We pay $45 for 30 minutes of private instruction. This is both for hitting and pitching (with different people).

At the age of 7 and 9, however, I might hold off just a bit. Do you know the game pretty well? Just playing catch with them and letting them swing the bat with minimal instruction might be a better route.

My DD started lessons at 9 and it was borderline too early. Yes, you don't want bad habits to set in, but also you don't want to bore them or turn this into a job.

I guess the lessons at those ages and skill levels that I'd want the girls to have would be about what I'd do with them myself. I would want someone teaching them glove up to catch balls above the belt, glove down for below. Don't step to the side to catch a ball thrown at your chest. That kind of thing.

The price you're getting is great though, so I'd say give it a go. Perhaps you can film or take notes and work on the drills for weeks between lessons.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
At 7 and 9 biggest thing you can do is work with them as often as you can....not sure weekly lessons would even be needed you could probably do every other if you work with them at home alot or even monthly for a status check. A lot depends though on your level of knowledge you are still probably at the age where they will half listen to you so you should make progress. Honestly biggest reason I had my kids listen to other coaches as they got older is just so they could here the other coach say the same thing I was telling them except there was a better chance they would listen to someone else.

This is also part of why I want to go the lessons route as well. I don’t have softball coaching experience (only baseball coaching experience) but I watch and read everything I can on forums and YouTube for ways to help them out and we all know how it is with our daughters thinking we don’t always know what we are talking about. And then when their coaches eventually tell them the same things, it’s like they all of a sudden realize maybe we do know some things (only until the next time we try to tell them how to do something haha). The girl offering to work with them is a current college player and they are excited they will be working with an older player so if it translates well, then it will be money well spent in my opinion.

Jul 1, 2010
We paid $45 for 1 hour pitching and $45 for 45 minutes hitting. In my experience once I started paying someone else to coach it downgraded my DD's opinion of my knowledge, even when I said the exact same thing!

Between the lessons, team dues, gas, tolls, and equipment I got a pay raise when she went to college. :cool: Not really, she still has lots of things that a scholarship doesn't cover, plus travel and lodging to games adds up.

Apr 20, 2015
In indy...60 per hour for 2 kids hitting max 5 kids per lesson.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
This is also part of why I want to go the lessons route as well. I don’t have softball coaching experience (only baseball coaching experience) but I watch and read everything I can on forums and YouTube for ways to help them out and we all know how it is with our daughters thinking we don’t always know what we are talking about. And then when their coaches eventually tell them the same things, it’s like they all of a sudden realize maybe we do know some things (only until the next time we try to tell them how to do something haha). The girl offering to work with them is a current college player and they are excited they will be working with an older player so if it translates well, then it will be money well spent in my opinion.
This is why the every other or even once a month check ins are OK. You can go with the remember what coach said line so it's not coming from you then go back in two weeks and get another dose of it. I had never coached softball either I coached my son baseball through 12U and once he started 14U then HS he was on his own...but if you can really coach and understand baseball and are fairly athletic and coordinated you can coach up two 7 and 9 year old girls in softball don't sell yourself short. Thing you really have to study and learn is softball pitching it's one reason why I used lesson here and videoed myself and got to the point where I could pitch BP for my girls team; I just didn't think I should teach it until I could do it.

Mar 20, 2019
We pay $40 per half hour $60per hour. Our instructors also have an 8 week winter camp that's around $50 a week but it's more of a group setting.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Sep 17, 2009
When they are very young like yours and just starting out group lessons or classes at a top facility is often a good way to go. Often cheaper yet still with top instructors and more fun less pressure in a group setting. I'm a big advocate of getting the right type of instruction but in the first go around with lessons often it's just getting them exposed to the game and the idea of doing drills and taking instruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812