Types of pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
If you were developing a young pitcher (10-U) for the long haul, how many types of pitches would you have them learn (master) and which ones?

Edit: This is pitches to be learned over their entire pitching career, not immediately,

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
I don’t just mean when they are 10-U, I mean over their entire pitching career.

I think that would depend on how effectively they could command each type of pitch. Not sure there is a one size fits all number for this question.

The first response was prudent. My Dd has a "fastball" and change up. We are working on command and proper spin. Unless your DD At 10u is advanced, those pitches alone ahould keep most occupied.

Ultimately she will have more pitches, but the number would depend on her ability.

Nov 22, 2019
I think that would depend on how effectively they could command each type of pitch. Not sure there is a one size fits all number for this question.

The first response was prudent. My Dd has a "fastball" and change up. We are working on command and proper spin. Unless your DD At 10u is advanced, those pitches alone ahould keep most occupied.

Ultimately she will have more pitches, but the number would depend on her ability.

I was thinking it would be tough for most pitchers to really master (not just learn) more than 4 pitches. So I was wondering the best to eventually learn.

Also, which type of change-up is best to learn?

May 9, 2019
I was thinking it would be tough for most pitchers to really master (not just learn) more than 4 pitches. So I was wondering the best to eventually learn.

Also, which type of change-up is best to learn?

I absolutely agree. Probably 4, in general would be advisable, but if your DD can handle more, why not?

I personally think, the most important thing, aside from movement pitches, is pitches that change speeds. The best hitters I've seen in 10u so far, can hit everything, in out, up and down, but the one thing that always seems to get them off guard is the change of speed.

Personally, our goal is drop, rise, and change.

Jan 17, 2020
Agree
Don't move on to rise or drop until you have change perfect. At least a ten mph difference. Then hit outside and inside with rise and drop. Golden.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
It's an interesting question and probably ultimately depends on the abilities/attributes of the individual pitcher. However, I think the "holy trinity" would be a drop, rise, and change up. My DD is 14U and we are working on the drop and change up. We have not attempted a rise and probably won't for some time, in part because it is a notoriously difficult pitch to throw correctly (with 12-6 backspin). I think throwing multiple speeds is very important for keeping batters off-balance. We currently also throw an "off speed" FB that sits between the change up and her drop/fastball.

If I had to choose between the Drop and Rise, I would choose the Drop because I think you will end up in less trouble keeping the ball down. If the Rise is not thrown well, it is more prone to becoming a HR pitch.

Depending on who you listen to on DFP, the "screwball" does not really exist and is simply an inside fastball thrown with an unnecessary and elaborate motion. I've also gathered that many don't believe in the softball curve ball because it tends to stay flat and not change planes. It is also not a true curve ball unless it has 3-9 side spin.