Type of Pitch % breakdown in games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
So your talking about her screwball.
Are you saying a right handed pitcher throwing an outside screwball to a right handed hitter?

That's a meat pitch!

Considering the rotation of the screwball
pretty much opposite of curve.

It is not wise to throw a pitch spinning into the sweet spot of the bat.
Thats the wheelhouse for crushing the pitch.

*or are you saying she now spinning it other direction?
Like a curve.
No she's a righty pitcher and it spins and breaks towards a right handed batter. She learned the pitch to jam a righty or break away from a lefty especially a slapper. Nothing to the meat of the plate unless by accident.

Now we're throwing it catch an outside corner on a righty or make a lefty bail out and catch a tight inside.

Her pitch moves a lot late.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No she's a righty pitcher and it spins and breaks towards a right handed batter. She learned the pitch to jam a righty or break away from a lefty especially a slapper. Nothing to the meat of the plate unless by accident.

Now we're throwing it catch an outside corner on a righty or make a lefty bail out and catch a tight inside.

Her pitch moves a lot late.
Inside tight is very different location than otherside of plate.

Outside of plate spinning toward strikezone is counter productive.
It is not deceiving to throw a pitch that the batter see's straight into the zone only to stay closer in it.
And spin into our barrel.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish.
However a curve is FAR better at chewing the outside corner. With that spin going away forces batters to make an adjustment.
And bad results if not adjusted.

Remember hitters get better and will be learning to make adjustments on breaking pitches out of the zone.
If hers is breaking into the zone make sure her glove is ready ! ;)

Their are pitchers with unique ability. Most every pitcher learns as they go. Keep growing!

Good Luck :):)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018
That is counter productive.
It is not deceiving to throw a pitch that the batter see's straight into the zone only to stay closer in it.
And spin into our barrel.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish.
However a curve is FAR better at chewing the outside corner. With that spin going away forces batters to make an adjustment.
And bad results if not adjusted.

Remember hitters get better and will be learning to make adjustments on breaking pit hes out of the zone.
If hers is breaking into the zone make sure her glove is ready ! ;)

Other than this feedback.
Will say Good Luck :):)
Not to sound like a prick as I just might not be explaining it right or not understanding your logic-but I gotta trust her pitching coach. Nothing is breaking into the zone unless it's a mistake. I'm not following your logic or what you're saying i guess. It's a backwards curve- you use it the same way but reverse as the curve or perhaps the slider. Which outside corner are you referring... to a righty or lefty.

edit: versus lefty looking for a swinging strike away. not typically looking for a corner strike away.
edit: not being argumentative.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not to sound like a prick as I just might not be explaining it right or not understanding your logic-but I gotta trust her pitching coach. Nothing is breaking into the zone unless it's a mistake. I'm not following your logic or what you're saying i guess. It's a backwards curve- you use it the same way but reverse as the curve or perhaps the slider. Which outside corner are you referring... to a righty or lefty.
Righty pitching to righty hitter.

What i gleened from your posts
Shes right handed.
Throws a screwball that spins towards the batter.
She throws it tight inside.

Now she is working on the same pitch~
BUT throwing it to outside edge of the plate.
AND its still spinning toward the batter.

If that is the case
She is throwing a pitch the batter will see big and fat across the visual zone out in front of them...
And the pitch itself is spinning still toward the strikezone...
So its not meant to break away.
Its meant to stay closer in the zone.

Its not deceptively leaving the zone.
Like a curve that spins away from the strikezone.
And the spin on a curve goes away from wheelhouse.
*not good to throw flat curve into the wheelhouse either.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018
What i gleened from your posts
Shes right handed.
Throws a screwball that spins towards the batter.
She throws it tight inside.

Now she is working on the same pitch~
BUT throwing it to outside edge of the plate.
AND its still spinning toward the batter.

If that is the case
She is throwing a pitch the batter will see big and fat across the visual zone out in front of them...
And the pitch itself is spinning still toward the strikezone...
So its not meant to break away.
Its meant to stay closer in the zone.

It not deceptively leaving the zone.
Like a curve that spins away from the strikezone.
I follow you more now. What i meant is she is learning to throw it at the lefty and break on the inside or at least force the batter to bail on it. Nice set up for away fast ball depending on situation. Similar to how you use an inside breaking ball/slider against a righty to catch them flinching. She currently uses it against lefty's to appear to head into the zone but break low and way outside.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I follow you more now. What i meant is she is learning to throw it at the lefty and break on the inside or at least force the batter to bail on it. Nice set up for away fast ball depending on situation. Similar to how you use an inside breaking ball/slider against a righty to catch them flinching. She currently uses it against lefty's to appear to head into the zone but break low and way outside.
Got it. Learn to jam a lefty inside.
Good luck~Keep growing!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
I don't know how much you need to make it move, but Maddux made a living throwing that 2 seemer (with screw ball action) inside off the plate and running it back over the inside corner for a called strike. If you can get enough movement to get batters to give up on the pitch, and it be a strike, it can be devastating.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't know how much you need to make it move, but Maddux made a living throwing that 2 seemer (with screw ball action) inside off the plate and running it back over the inside corner for a called strike. If you can get enough movement to get batters to give up on the pitch, and it be a strike, it can be devastating.
One of my better pitchers had a game where she was releasing her change up a little late. It started out too high and the batters were giving up on it, and then it dropped into the strike zone. It worked for the whole game, afterwards I warned her not to think of this as a pitch that she could use regularly, that better hitters would stay ready and crush it. But for that game it worked well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K