Type of Pitch % breakdown in games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
He's mentioned how he loved to watch announcers talk about her curveball because she couldn't throw one. Used seems and finger pressure to make her fastball move.
This odd bickering over what to call a pitch that moves. Curve is what the pitch is doing its a description of pitch movement.
Thanks for detailing why its moving with finger pressure.
No pitcher is fun to watch throwing straight pitches. Thats when its fun to watch hitters.

Mar 6, 2018
The #1, #3, and #4 batters on a D1 team are *PAID* to hit riseballs, drops, changeups and curves. A pitcher with mediocre movement pitches will be eaten alive by the #1, #3 and #4 hitters on college teams. And, if a pitcher can't consistenly get #1, #3 and #4 out, she won't make it in college.

" Screwballs are a non-existent pitch thrown with fairy dust."

Can you explain that further? My dd and I are behind you and many others in here (she's 12). We've taken our own path and tried to use this forum for some guidance. Went very unconventional to our "area" in our approach to learning pitching etc. I say we because dad here is new to this too. She throws a change up and screwball right now and learning the rise ball. Just curious if you thing the screw ball is not a functional pitch in upper levels or what you mean. She wanted to work on another pitch as she is learning the rise ball and her coach told her she could but she had to drop a pitch. That he doesnt want her with more than 3 pitches. He told her that D1 schools typically do not have pitchers with more than 3, not including fastball of course. She chose to stay the course as her screw ball breaks good and change up appears to be good for her age as well. I'm very happy with his approach and glad he's pushing her to refine those 3 and not add a pitch that won't be mastered.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
imo
A riseball is a more functional pitch than a screwball. As it can be thrown effectively to either side of the plate and at different heights. To the same batter.

A screwball is, at times, reffered to as a location pitch rather than a moving pitch.
It is better to control its height being lowest to highest for more use if thats the chosen route.
In other words dont always throw it same height. It will become detectable.

Jul 31, 2015
I was curious if any former or current pitchers (or coaches) know what is their average pitch breakdown in games was/is, especially college level or high-end travel (HS age).

I asked Amanda Scarsborough and she said freshman year (not sure if HS or college):
60-65% screw
20-25% curve
5-10% Change-up

Junior Year:
40% Drop
30% screw
20% curve
10% change-up

90% what's working that weekend
10% 🙏

:p

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Some Daddies want to make their kid the second coming of Cat Osterman and have her learn several different pitches. The kid never masters any pitch, and so never makes it in college ball.
I'm pretty sure I have seen more kids with only one pitch that never make it. It's a nice myth though.

The biggest problem with this is that you never know what pitch you will be a master of. Play to your strength.

Mar 6, 2018
imo
A riseball is a more functional pitch than a screwball. As it can be thrown effectively to either side of the plate and at different heights. To the same batter.

A screwball is, at times, reffered to as a location pitch rather than a moving pitch.
It is better to control its height being lowest to highest for more use if thats the chosen route.
In other words dont always throw it same height. It will become detectable.
she started throwing it L to R high to low (not too high level with a tailing drop) with break and spin. Catching the low inside to the righty just off the plate.

We're now working throwing it at the lefty to break on inside of plate.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
she started throwing it L to R high to low (not too high level with a tailing drop) with break and spin. Catching the low inside to the righty just off the plate.

Are you speaking of rise?

radness

Dec 13, 2019

So your talking about her screwball.
Are you saying a right handed pitcher throwing an outside screwball to a right handed hitter?

That's a meat pitch!

Considering the rotation of the screwball
pretty much opposite of curve.

It is not wise to throw a pitch spinning into the sweet spot of the bat.
Thats the wheelhouse for crushing the pitch.

*or are you saying she now spinning it other direction?
Like a curve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23