Two Seamers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
Yesterday was the start of TB for DD2 who is 14. She got to pitch the first game and it was the first game time she used the 2-seamer. She had the batters off balance the whole game with the drop and change. Riseball is a work in progress and probably shouldn't be thrown in a game, but coach calls it. Her favorite grip is to take the fingers off the seams and watch it curve and drop. DD pitched a complete game and the team got the win.

Thanks to everyone who posted, it has made DD a different and better pitcher. She is not a speed demon and as her coach says, is a junk baller.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
DD started w/ the hockey puck.... then to the taped ball. With the grip above, it was for her first pitch... drop. I always seemed to have more drop with 2~Seams. Pads of fingers over the seam gives you something to peel. You dig the thumb & pinky in hard, as you peel, and you got an "Off the Table Drop"...Keep the pads behind the seams, and thumb & pinky off any seams.... you got the "Flat Finger Knuckle Ball"... All 2~Seamed.

Why I'm interested is I know you get more location/rotation w/ 2~Seamed. I don't understand how she gets the ball moving North,South,East & West all 1/7... 2~SEAMED ?????

UPDATE.... just came to me this week, as I was showing a girls grumpy grandpa.... & couldn't find the puc.... use a roll of ElectricTape.... :cool: lots safer for beginners

Jun 7, 2013
I just started having my oldest DD start trying the 2-seamer. Her hands aren't large so she was experimenting with various grips including putting two of her fingers on one seam or the other. She was not able to achieve consistency, but she had some good downward and east to west movement on some of the pitches.

Question: Are 2-seamers always thrown low or do you try to hit the top of the zone with it?

My youngest DD, first year 14U, also tried experimenting with it but did not seem quite as enamored with it as my oldest DD who is looking for another pitch. We figured at first year 14U her good FB, CU, and peel drop will be sufficient for this year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
FWIW - I saw a pitcher dominate the competition for 4 days straight using a 2 seam. Her team won the NJCAA National Championship and she earned tournament MVP honors. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Congrats to Jake! What better way to end one chapter and begin the next.

PS Who wants to tell her that no one throws fastballs in fastpitch?!

Feb 17, 2011
For what it's worth. DD would experiment with a two-seam fastball and there appeared to be less predictability of spin direction versus her 4-seam fastball the had 12-6 spin. For example sometimes the 2S would run in towards a right handed batter and other times run away from a right handed batter. Maybe the placement and pressure of the finger tips had a lot to do with its unpredictability not necessarily its smooth side versus rough side orientation? Nevertheless, she abandoned the 2S and hasn't thrown one for several years now. But it has me thinking I should have her try a 2S now to see if she gets the same results or more predictable movement?

∆ exactly. My DD 2 seam FB cuts down and in about 8 out of 10 times the other two kinda of crop.
It was taught to her by a USA men's pitcher who suggested that she try it after putting the finishing touches on her curve one day.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
BUMP-

This has become DDs go to, It is getting more consistent and now moves at least a little every time she throws it, just curious if anyone else has tried it recently. I will be trying to capture it on video later today.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I have this game clip from a couple of weeks back. This is her guesting with the local HS team (as an 8th grader) in their fall league. 4 innings/8ks/no hits/1 walk against another HS team. The first pitch is her two seamer, not sure if video does it justice from this angle but it was really sliding away on this day. The second pitch is a CU and a generous call.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAVyv7-754[/video]

Jun 7, 2013
Hi JJ

Even from that angle it looks like it has good west movement. Can she do east as well? How does she throw it? I am looking to have my DDs pick up this pitch so any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812