Two seam/4 seam /horseshoe/split finger/knuckle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I have tried most everything and what is working for me is to break some of the mechanics on a good IR fast ball. Grip ball tightly deep in palm, let humerus pass by mid-line moving release point forward, finish across body with pink up and palm toward catcher.

We started with a new pitching instructor about 3 months ago and she had DD #2 make a very similar change to her change up and it made a huge difference. She has always thrown a horseshoe change but couldn't get it slow enough most of the time. All she did was change the release point and the trajectory. It was her go to pitch for Fall Ball.

We have always thrown a 4 seam FB/DB, but my DD#2 is starting to play around with a 2 seam FB/DB and trying to turn it into somewhat of a drop curve.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I have tried most everything and what is working for me is to break some of the mechanics on a good IR fast ball. Grip ball tightly deep in palm, let humerus pass by mid-line moving release point forward, finish across body with pink up and palm toward catcher. I teach it after they have a good mastery of the fastball and never tell them it is a change up. We are just working on a new pitch. I have them throw it as hard as they possibly can. Although they can control it they cannot get much velocity. Eventually the light bulb comes one and they realize what has happened. By focusing on throwing a pitch with both proper and improper mechanics they become very aware of which is which and it aids in their overall development. If they already have a proven, game ready IR fastball they can usually get to a game ready change up in a couple of weeks.

Can you get a video of this instruction ??? Thx :cool:

Jun 26, 2010
This happened to us this past weekend in a session with DD's PC.

I always knew this to be true, but since we learned IR mechanics after a few years of HE,
I was very afraid to cue her to turn-out at 12:00 position, in fear of her old habits returning on her other pitches.
But the truth of the matter is her palm-up at 9:00 is so thoroughly engrained now, she was still whipping her change, and getting to a horseshoe too late (like at/during release).

So, her Change was good, but too fast in relation to her other pitches.
She had all the other aspects described above: tight grip, ball in back of palm, later release, etc.
But was still getting too much juice on the ball.

This weekend, PC said "trust me" and within about 10min she was throwing a wonderful change.
Really, really nice. All it took was turning out earlier (at 12:00 instead, of 7:00....) and magically, it was about perfect.

DD has had much the same problem and it has baffled and frustrated me. I will have her try this at her next session. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I have tried most everything and what is working for me is to break some of the mechanics on a good IR fast ball. Grip ball tightly deep in palm, let humerus pass by mid-line moving release point forward, finish across body with pink up and palm toward catcher. I teach it after they have a good mastery of the fastball and never tell them it is a change up. We are just working on a new pitch. I have them throw it as hard as they possibly can. Although they can control it they cannot get much velocity. Eventually the light bulb comes one and they realize what has happened. By focusing on throwing a pitch with both proper and improper mechanics they become very aware of which is which and it aids in their overall development. If they already have a proven, game ready IR fastball they can usually get to a game ready change up in a couple of weeks.
Im having a hard time picturing this. Does the release come out the same as a fb no flip correct

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Im having a hard time picturing this. Does the release come out the same as a fb no flip correct

Yes, but forward of the normal release. At this point arm is extending and it sucks the velocity out of the pitch. You are essentially imitating what is a common defect.

May 27, 2013
DD 14U throws knuckle change with 3 knuckles on the ball (grips with only thumb and pinky). It is a nasty pitch when she's on with it. All she does to change speeds is switch from 3 to 2 knuckles, and she can throw it faster, but slower than her FB. She keeps her grips hidden as long as possible and will actually apply the grip as she's going into motion with her pitch - so far she's had great success with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom