Two Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
I have a scoring question, and a rules question from games last weekend.

#1: Who gets the error? Ball is hit to shallow center field, CF and 2B both charge to the backside of the bag, both calling for the ball. They are both focused on tracking the ball, neither hears the other. CF makes the catch and holds it for a beat before the 2B crashes into her and the CF drops the ball. I was doing GameChanger during this play, and as DD was one of the players in question, I didn't know how to score it and just called it a hit (would have been a great play if either girl had come up with the ball). How would you score it?

#2: Is this obstruction? Play at 1B (this is 12U) using a safety base. SS fields a ground ball and makes a high throw to first. 1B, standing on the white side of the bag, jumps up to make the catch and lands on the orange safety side of the bag. Ump calls the runner out but offensive coach insists that it's obstruction automatically because fielders are not allowed to touch the orange side of the safety base. Obstruction or not?

Nov 18, 2015
would have been a great play if either girl had come up with the ball
That's your answer right there - errors should only be given on plays requiring ordinary effort. If it would have been a "great play", then it's a hit, not an error.

To complicate matters - let's change the situation a little - same pop fly, but 2B has plenty of time to get under it and wait for it to come down. But just as she catches it, CF plows into her (again not hearing each other call for it), and the ball is dropped. Can we give an error to the CF?

May 16, 2016
#1: If CF catches the ball, and 2nd base cause them to drop, I'd score that an E4. I think it's ordinary effort not to crash into a player who made catch.
#2: I think they made correct call, runner out, no interference.

Jan 27, 2019
If the throw takes the first baseman to the colored base the runner is obligated to take the white base. In this instance neither obstruction or interference, runner is out, check to make sure everyone is ok and play on

May 29, 2015
We covered safety bases in another thread recently, it I can’t recall which one.

It will primarily depend on your rule set what the correct ruling should be as far as out/safe. Some rule sets are absolute that the defense cannot use the orange; some rule sets allow them to. Some rule sets require the runner to change sides, some absolutely will not allow the runner to change.

I would say in almost NO instance should it be obstruction if the the throw took the fielder to the other side of the bag though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would say in almost NO instance should it be obstruction if the the throw took the fielder to the other side of the bag though.

Usually, a fielder is not protected when fielding a thrown ball. Is this situation different because it's 1B and there's a safety base?

Jun 22, 2008
Usually, a fielder is not protected when fielding a thrown ball. Is this situation different because it's 1B and there's a safety base?

Just because she landed on the orange bag does not make it automatically obstruction, could it be? Yes, but not automatically. Did the fielder jumping up and coming down on the orange base hinder the runner in any way prior to F3 having possession of the ball? If not, the defense is allowed to use the orange base if an errant throw takes them there.

May 29, 2015
Again, the letter of the law is going to depend on your association (rule set). Comp nailed it and I may have spoke a little too generally. The fielder is not “protected” as Eric put it. It could be obstruction depending on what is happening, but it isn’t automatically obstruction just because the fielder changes sides.

NFHS allows either fielder or batter runner to use either section of the bag should an errant throw occur. Keep in mind, obstruction or interference could occur.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
To complicate matters - let's change the situation a little - same pop fly, but 2B has plenty of time to get under it and wait for it to come down. But just as she catches it, CF plows into her (again not hearing each other call for it), and the ball is dropped. Can we give an error to the CF?

Error on the CF.

Recently the Cubs had a play where Jason Heyward and Kris Bryant collided on a ball in the gap. When they collided, the ball was touching Heyward's glove (and he definitely would've caught it had Bryant not been there). Bryant got the error on the play even though he never touched the ball.

Jun 11, 2013
On Q1 it's either a hit or an E8. Too often we get confused on whose fault it is versus what an error is. Since F4 never had a real play on the ball it can't be her error even if it was her fault.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802