two piece helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
ASA references the NOCSAE standard when talking about face masks and offensive batting helmets. Also when players are acting as base coaches they have to wear a helmet with double ear flaps and a mask that meet the NOCSAE standard. It is implied that catchers helmets have to meet the standard but not specifically stated. I’ve never seen a catchers helmet that wasn’t NOCSAE, and my DD has had 4 of them over a 10 year period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All hockey-style catcher's helmets are NOCSAE stamped, and I have seen umps check them at ASA/USA events. Doing a little looking, I found one baseball-style facemask that was clearly NOCSAE stamped, but on most, I couldn't see the stamp in the pics or find it in the description. I was not able to find any catcher/coach helmets with either dual ear flaps or a NOCSAE stamp.

May 6, 2015
so now my question is (and apologies, there are probably existing threads) what helmet. I really want to be able to get gray or even white, I do not want black (for heat related reasons), and for her catchers gear, I prefer nuetral colors (as opposed to a team color, since who knows what team she will be on a year from now, and we cannot afford new gear every time she changes teams, it is bad enough as she is growing, new bat time as well ). she is first year 12u this fall, and average to maybe slightly below average size wise. also want something on lighter end (but not sacrificing protection) if possible.

Thoughts, ideas?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Schutte has a nice helmet in white. A little heavier than some others but a good helmet over all.

We have the Easton Prowess intermediate helmet and DD likes it but I dont see it in white.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
so now my question is (and apologies, there are probably existing threads) what helmet. I really want to be able to get gray or even white, I do not want black (for heat related reasons), and for her catchers gear, I prefer nuetral colors (as opposed to a team color, since who knows what team she will be on a year from now, and we cannot afford new gear every time she changes teams, it is bad enough as she is growing, new bat time as well ). she is first year 12u this fall, and average to maybe slightly below average size wise. also want something on lighter end (but not sacrificing protection) if possible.

Thoughts, ideas?

Last year I hunted for a while helmet, too. Schutt was the only all-white one I found (DD hated the fit). All-Star has half-white helmets. Rawlings youth Velo has a white/silver option.

May 6, 2015
new question, we are still searching, is there a real difference between a helmet listed as baseball catcher's helmet, fastpitch catcher's helmet, and one with no designation other than catcher's helmet? I am looking at mostly youth models due to sizing, looking at possibly Diamond Edge ix5, Rawlings Velo, and AS MVP2510, and schutt airmax 2966

May 24, 2013
So Cal
new question, we are still searching, is there a real difference between a helmet listed as baseball catcher's helmet, fastpitch catcher's helmet, and one with no designation other than catcher's helmet? I am looking at mostly youth models due to sizing, looking at possibly Diamond Edge ix5, Rawlings Velo, and AS MVP2510, and schutt airmax 2966

Sometimes there's a difference in the cage, but usually there's no difference. My DD uses an Easton Mako II, which is listed as a "baseball" catcher's mask.

Jul 14, 2018

DD has two Shock FX helmets from her catching days, one is a baseball helmet and the other is a softball one. Purchased at the same time, so I assume it was the same "model year" (she had different colors for two teams). They are completely different, from the shape & molding to the padding on the inside to the shape of the cage. She wore them interchangeably, so I'm not sure that the difference was anything more than aesthetics. She liked the softball one better because it is a little smaller and the Shock FX had this great little flap on the rear head piece that allowed for a ponytail.

That was a fine piece of gear :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812