Two parents, three children...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
With two parents and three very active and involved young adolescents, I would be interested in hearing how the families juggle the activity. We have two travel players (softball/baseball). This means two to four practices per week...Nike Softball Camp is next week, Basketball Camp is next week, cross training begins next week, pariticipation in a tramp boarding class (for sheer fun) begins next week. My oldest is going for her GS Gold Award and is a photographer that has become popular for taking photos at events, and she is volunteering at the children's museum twice a week. I will be kicking off a fine motor skill preschool class in the fall, am writing three books, and I am consulting for two small businesses. I also teach K-3 Sunday School Class at church twice a month. Add pitching both athletes in the backyard during down time, and my other dd's Latin Club, Yearbook Committee, and such.

WE ARE GOING ON VACATION! Our families live in New Jersey, and we are going on a two week stay which (due to ball) haven't done in years. Taking in the Yankees and Red Sox :D

Anyway, sometimes (not often) my husband and I differ in the directions or priority of activities. We are committed folks, so you can expect us at practice and if we are running behind, you will receive a call.

We try to create the quality family time IN those busy times, but occassionally we feel stretched. Close friends and family are quick to say, we are over involved. Maybe so, but everyone is having fun doing it, and we find beautiful days at the ballpark good quality time together. The way my husband and I see it, it is a short season of life, and will be gone before you know it. Our children participate in what they want to participate in. None of them are forced to play or participate in what they are doing.

I am going to suggest a weekend off every six weeks. I don't think my husband will be pleased, but I think we need one occassional weekend without running. Additionally, we will be able to notify teams in advance.

Does any one feel my pain??? :eek:

Keep smiling,

Ang

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
More children than parents

Yup .. feel your pain.
Five busy kids (3-14 years), two working parents.

Two boys take Karate, two girls (9 and 12) play softball, the 9 year old does both Travel and Pemier soccer....the 6 year old plays baseball. ...add a three year old to the mix ....
...add in the academic stuff, music, etc......

My husband is the Manager of the 6 year old's baseball team. I am an assistant coach for the 9-12 softball team.

I also have an Ebay Store as well as being a Quality Manager for an Aerospace supplier.

I had had it with the schedule and the politics last week ...better this week. Not often that we both feel overwhelmed...but once in a while!

I was given the 10/11 All Star team to manage.....so far only 8 girls (of 18 eleven's in the league). They are the "leftovers" from the 9/10, 11/12 selections, none the other coaches will assist or give me the contact information of the "undecided's. (so not used to a Women in "their" world of control of this league).
I'm feeling a bit stressed ... league is weak (especially this age group) and if we don't get a team for 10/11, it is highly unlikely that we will even have an 11/12 for next summer.
Very sad as is a bunch of really sweet bunch of girls who have not gotten the attention they deserved and I woud really love to rejuvinate their interest and help them to raise their game.
If you don't water the plant, it probably isn't going to grow.
But the coaches are so focused on winning, they can't see past those they view to be the only ones with potential.

Anyay..although we do feel a bit too busy at times ....I really love going to their games, practicing in the back yard (my kids really open up about their "life" while just playing catch .. nice bonding.)
We go on vacation in Sept (Labor day week) as there aren't too many activites in full gear yet. Day trips all through the year...
..hubby and I head to a SOx game 5+ times and we even have a 9pm "date night" after the kids are in bed with a nice dinner.

Nothing is ever perfect ...

May 7, 2008
The after 9 pm dinner date sounds so nice except when I'd return to the table with the drinks, his head would be in his mashed potatoes! He is in his office everyday at 6:15 a.m. We do really need to set aside time for just us, though.

Thanks 5Pots,

Ang

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
more kids than parents

lol....know how you feel!
we are tired most nights too.

Tonight we plan summer camps on the deck at 8:30 with a couple of cold beverages..
I also have to do the line up for our last regular season game.

But in the winter we plan, at least twice per month, a date movie night at 9pm.....nice steaks, Lord of the r
Rings...or whatever....some wine....

Try to hit the deck in warmer weaether ....
we have bleacher seat at Fenway so we go to 4-5 games ....

it is tough...but gotta do it .....

May 7, 2008
lol....know how you feel!
we are tired most nights too.

Tonight we plan summer camps on the deck at 8:30 with a couple of cold beverages..
I also have to do the line up for our last regular season game.

But in the winter we plan, at least twice per month, a date movie night at 9pm.....nice steaks, Lord of the r
Rings...or whatever....some wine....

Try to hit the deck in warmer weaether ....
we have bleacher seat at Fenway so we go to 4-5 games ....

it is tough...but gotta do it .....

5 Pots! lol....

This ang is a yanks fan :D for 38 years! We no longer live in the vicinity of the stadium, but our family is there. We are taking in the Yanks/Sox on July
3rd, 4th and 5th.

I believe in principles before personalities! It's okay you're a Sox fan...it takes all kinds of fans to make the game interesting.

For the love of the game,

Ang

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802