Two infield throwing questions regarding technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2015
Fingers should be completely behind the ball at release for maximum velocity. The 12-6 rotation means this is being accomplished.

Ball would spin accordingly if released correctly and align with arm angle-- straight down, sidearm, whatever.

Oct 4, 2018
Teach her how to throw correctly first and the rest (e.g. spin) will take care of itself. See Wasserman's stuff.

In terms of throwing sidearm, at 3B it won't be used as much as MI but there are some balls (in particular bunts) where throwing from a lower armslot will be helpful. Plus she is 9, she may end up in the MI at some point. I would just play around with it now when you playing catch. Be ready to chase the ball at first ;)

Agreed.

.... and I find the sidearm stuff comes naturally. As you teach them bunt coverage from 3B you'll want them to stay low and not waste time. And that will create a more sidearm motion. I taught girls that way and it really worked fine without any added time on "sidearm".

But I'm just a dad-coach.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Just one thing to consider, I played 1B for a few years on a men's FP team, our SS threw 3/4 and had a pretty wicked tail on his throws. There were times where it broke so late I couldn't get my glove over quick enough.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478