Two B Teams same Org

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
12U is where many rec leagues disintegrate. In my area, even at 8/10U, it's becoming rarer to find a competent, experienced rec-league player. Once kids gain some basic ability, it's off to a travel/competitive/whatever-you-want-to-call-it team.

Up to 14U, I see plenty of "C" level teams that are essentially a group of reasonably experienced, but still very much developing players. "B" is fairly competitive and there are relatively few "A" teams, but most of those are pretty good. By 16/18U, it's either "A" or "B" teams...all self-identified, of course.

No one cares what level of ball somebody played at 14U or below. It's even less relevant now with the recruiting rules changes. That legit 12U "A" player may well burn out or be injured before they ever get the chance to be noticed by a college coach. Like others here, I see plenty of 12/14U "A" ballplayers who are no longer in the game, and plenty of 12/14U "C" players now in a college program. DD is in the latter category. It's all about skills and physical development, staying away from injuries, and long-term motivation.

Jun 8, 2016
No one cares what level of ball somebody played at 14U or below. It's even less relevant now with the recruiting rules changes. That legit 12U "A" player may well burn out or be injured before they ever get the chance to be noticed by a college coach. Like others here, I see plenty of 12/14U "A" ballplayers who are no longer in the game, and plenty of 12/14U "C" players now in a college program. DD is in the latter category. It's all about skills and physical development, staying away from injuries, and long-term motivation.
With regards to the bolded above, would you say that many A players (or lets just really good players) at 12's are pushed too hard hence the seemingly strange negative correlation that many here "observe" between being really good at 12 and being really good at 16/18?

Jun 8, 2016
In my opinion at the younger ages it is ok to push/encourage a little bit in order to instill the idea that if you want to be good at something you need to work. That applies to anything you do in life. Also, regardless of what anybody says, being good at something makes it more fun. As a kid gets older the child/young adult needs to take over the responsibility for their continuing improvement. Not sure where that transition takes place but I would say somewhere between 14's and 16's.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
With regards to the bolded above, would you say that many A players (or lets just really good players) at 12's are pushed too hard hence the seemingly strange negative correlation that many here "observe" between being really good at 12 and being really good at 16/18?

There are plenty of players who are very good at 12U and become top 18U players. I'm sure we could both cite examples. However, there are also many who are pushed too hard at the younger ages because they show their talent early. They play 100+ games a year as 10/12Us, but get injured, burn out, or simply change direction as they enter adolescence.

Conversely, there are kids who aren't as physically gifted at the younger ages, but when puberty finally hits, they're a completely different player. DD was like this. There are also those who get into the sport a bit later, say 10/12U, and have some natural talent that develops fast with the right coaching. Both of those types of players eventually catch up to many of those 10/12U "studs". By 16/18U, it's all about who wants to keep playing, and do you have the skills and health to stay on the field.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
In my opinion at the younger ages it is ok to push/encourage a little bit in order to instill the idea that if you want to be good at something you need to work. That applies to anything you do in life. Also, regardless of what anybody says, being good at something makes it more fun. As a kid gets older the child/young adult needs to take over the responsibility for their continuing improvement. Not sure where that transition takes place but I would say somewhere between 14's and 16's.

100%

Encourage them while they're young, but listen when they tell you what they want.

Back away starting first year 14U.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
You're describing rec ball, not travel ball.

I am not confusing anything with rec ball. Rec ball has 1-2 girls on a team that shows any ability to play softball. A B level team would be lucky to have 4-6 girls that can actually play softball, and have athleticism. If they did have 12 good player they would be an A team. I am sure we have a very different perspective on what a good softball player would look like at 12-13 years old. Sorry, but B level softball is for all players, it is really nothing more that what rec league was 20-30 years ago. Only difference is they call it travel ball now and charge 20-30 x more than they did back then.

Jun 8, 2016
There are plenty of players who are very good at 12U and become top 18U players. I'm sure we could both cite examples.
I don't have any personal examples because my kid is too young. However all you would to do is look at P5 teams and I am sure you could find enough examples of this. I am also sure that when my DD hits 16 or 18 I will have my own examples of the converse, assuming she is still playing. Of course personally the things I look for in good players at a younger age are a bit different then some. A smooth fielding shortstop with good footwork, good glove skills and good lateral movement at 12 to me is a good player regardless if she has a cannon or not (which often is a result of maturing early). Stuff like that (at every position) usually translates as they move up, assuming they don't burn out and/or get a little too "fluffy" (with regards to the lateral movement) when they age..of course they will have to hit a little too ;)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I am not confusing anything with rec ball. Rec ball has 1-2 girls on a team that shows any ability to play softball. A B level team would be lucky to have 4-6 girls that can actually play softball, and have athleticism. If they did have 12 good player they would be an A team. I am sure we have a very different perspective on what a good softball player would look like at 12-13 years old. Sorry, but B level softball is for all players, it is really nothing more that what rec league was 20-30 years ago. Only difference is they call it travel ball now and charge 20-30 x more than they did back then.

We absolutely have a different perspective here is the absolute nicest thing I can say in reply.

Mar 6, 2016
I think it all depends on what area you live and the # of Rec leagues, TB orgs and TB teams/levels.

I live in So Cal and most Rec leagues are listed as ASA "B" level with a few smaller leagues as "C" level. With "A" being considered Travel Ball.

BUT... having now 2 DDs play through Rec/All Stars and Travel Ball over the years..there are tons of "Travel Ball" teams that our Rec " B" level teams could have beaten easily. And there have been some "C " league teams beat "B" level teams as well.

So being considered a "travel ball" team doesn't necessarily mean you are " A" level. And you mention your local org wants to start a 2nd B level travel team...to me that just means another Rec level team tjat costs $$$.

Heck just in my area alone we have probably 20+ teams in Travel Ball at each age group 10u 12u and 14u and 4-5 main well known big name orgs (Firecrackers, Batbusters, Cruisers, Athletics, Ohana Tigers, etc) and a bunch of independent random teams all over.

Not sure why starting a 2nd B level team is a big deal. It all depends on players and options in your area I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802