Two B Teams same Org

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
They registered as B level being 1st year 12u and far from elite.

So the person or board who runs the organization decided there should be a second 12u B level team so that more kids could play. I’m of the opinion that tournament softball is not meant to be for everyone, that’s what rec is for— but I guess that’s not the point.

With respect -

Yes, that is the point. Travel ball is A ball. And even at 12U that means the best players play, no matter their birth year, as long as they are age eligible.

What you’ve described is a rec league operating under a TB banner. This arrangement doesn’t make sense as birth year-based teams are highly unlikely to be competitive with true, merit-based A ball teams. However, if you view this setup solely through the lens of $$$ it makes perfect sense: the A teams’ expenses are being defrayed by not one but now two teams of B- and C-level players.

It’s Ponziball!!

I am going to go out in a limb and guess that the talented girls on the lower-level B team are less politically well-connected than their counterparts on the higher-level B team.

Please tell me I’m wrong.

Aug 3, 2019
I’m not sold on the birth year being irrelevant in most cases at the younger ages. As the age increases, then I’d agree that the birth year means less—but at 10/12, its still significant. A December ‘09 birthday is giving up 12-23 months in age to most 12u players which is meaningful at that age.

Not saying it’s the right course, but in Pa, birth year teams at 10/12 age groups for A and high B are the norm. Teams attempt to group together girls of the same age in hopes they will stay together, although that rarely happens anyway.

I wouldn’t say those on the lower level team are less connected—2 of the kids parents coach. My guess is I don’t think they wanted to give that up.

Jun 8, 2016
Na just what I've seen. I can name a dozen 12U studs in our area that were "Can't miss" future D1 players who don't play the sport any longer. I can also point to a dozen who at 12 were bad, really bad and are all signed for next season. That's just in our area. Not every stud at 12 will fizzle out but many do. Thinking back to 12s much that we worried about proved to be unimportant as they got older.
Fair enough. I will readily admit I don't have your experience in this realm yet. I will say, around here at least, I don't see many kids at 12's overpowering kids with their size like I did at 10's.

Jul 31, 2015
I’m not sold on the birth year being irrelevant in most cases at the younger ages. As the age increases, then I’d agree that the birth year means less—but at 10/12, its still significant. A December ‘09 birthday is giving up 12-23 months in age to most 12u players which is meaningful at that age.

Not saying it’s the right course, but in Pa, birth year teams at 10/12 age groups for A and high B are the norm. Teams attempt to group together girls of the same age in hopes they will stay together, although that rarely happens anyway.

I wouldn’t say those on the lower level team are less connected—2 of the kids parents coach. My guess is I don’t think they wanted to give that up.

Gotcha. Seems like a rec setup through and through (parents wanting to keep coaching their DDs - awesome!). The game needs this!

But as Bullseye pointed out, until you (i.e. DD, you, parent coaches, radar grandpa, etc) see a real A team, you don’t realize you are playing B.

FWIW - by way of comparison: my 2002 DDs 18U team (A ball org, nationally ranked, last summer before she goes to college) will have a 2008 13 y.o. about-to-be 8th grader on it.

Skills.

Jun 8, 2016
FWIW - by way of comparison: my 2002 DDs 18U team (A ball org, nationally ranked, last summer before she goes to college) will have a 2008 13 y.o. about-to-be 8th grader on it.

Skills.
Wow..What position? Here I was worried (from a social perspective) about my DD possibly playing up 2 years..lol.

Jul 31, 2015
Catcher. Hits bombs.

Agree that the social interaction could be problematic.
My snarky DD and her teammates could use a smackdown, hopefully the presence of a youngster will bring it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood