Two B Teams same Org

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
DD has played with same organization and coaches for 2 years. Pretty happy with the organization for the most part. Most of her team moved up to 12u in the fall—all 2009 birthdays.

They registered as B level being 1st year 12u and far from elite.

So the person or board who runs the organization decided there should be a second 12u B level team so that more kids could play. I’m of the opinion that tournament softball is not meant to be for everyone, that’s what rec is for— but I guess that’s not the point.

Anyway, our organization also has a second-year 12u team playing at A level—-which now makes a total of 3 teams at 12u.

The end result of adding a team was that the two B level teams competed for 2009 birthdays and ended up watering down both teams. Our group got “most” of the stronger girls and the other team basically has 2-3 capable girls surrounded by rec players.

Is it wrong to think the organization would’ve been better off just having one team at the B level and having it be comprised of the best 2009 birthdays we could get? Or at least giving our team’s coaches first right of refusal on players?

We finished 11-9 in the fall and the other “B”team predictably went 2-10.

I’m hoping this works itself out once spring ends and we hopefully consolidate but it is frustrating to see 2-3 players languishing and likely not developing on a weaker team instead of growing with our team.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
I disagree with your opinion of the situation.

What you are looking for is not the what B level softball was created for. B level softball is for the development of any player that wants to play softball. You should have joined a legitimate A level team if you want everyone player to be a good softball player.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If "C" ball is a thing for 12U where you are, that weaker team would probably be better off there.

That said...agree with Bob...you could always join the "A" team.

Aug 25, 2019
My DD was in a org. like that for both her 14u years. She was on the weaker 14u team while the org. Also has a strong 14u team. That team.played in all the tourneys and won some hardware and made the org. Look good, while DDs team was placed in weak leagues and only played a couple of tourneys. Her team had about 4 good players, unfortunately none of them were.pitchers. Any good pitcher went to the good team, our pitchers were basically throwing batting practice. Bottom line her team was the cash cow for the org. Your org. would have ten 12u teams of they felt they could fill them and cash in.

Apr 28, 2014
Agree with the others, at "B" level you will have a mixed bag of talent. Not sure how many 12U A teams there are in your area but if your DD is good enough to play at A level then get her on an A team as soon as possible. Also keep in mind that most studs at 12U aren't the strongest players at 16 and 18. Lots of things happen during those years. The watering down of teams will work itself out over the year. One thing that you gotta become comfortable with is accepting teams records no matter what they are as long as your DD is getting better year over year. Colleges won't care what DD's record was at 12 or 14U, they will care about her fundamentals which are taught at 12u.

Jun 8, 2016
Also keep in mind that most studs at 12U aren't the strongest players at 16 and 18.
"Most" is a bit strong here imo....unless you can give me a reason why being good in 12U is a deterrent to being good at 18.

Apr 28, 2014
If you said being good at 12U gives you zero advantage maybe I could buy it but the way you put it makes it sound like a disadvantage.

Na just what I've seen. I can name a dozen 12U studs in our area that were "Can't miss" future D1 players who don't play the sport any longer. I can also point to a dozen who at 12 were bad, really bad and are all signed for next season. That's just in our area. Not every stud at 12 will fizzle out but many do. Thinking back to 12s much that we worried about proved to be unimportant as they got older.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279