Turning the Barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Lol!! As long as you believe that (bold above), I guess that's all that matters. I will continue to feel comfortable in my belief that turning one automatically means turning the other. I have not seen any proof to make me believe otherwise.
Maybe W=w is talking about instructional value? I think it was you who was discussing with Mud barrel-centric vs hand-centric instruction wasn't it? Same thing maybe??

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I only drink water and kombucha..:pYou really see a barrel float in Miggy's game swing??
Yep, (float. lag, release etc NOT a forced action)it happens when he makes his positive move into his legs thats why his hands are free to seek a pivot as well as help balance out the move out... If he was forcing/snapping from the beginning he would struggle with all the different pitches and pivots.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Lol!! As long as you believe that (bold above), I guess that's all that matters. I will continue to feel comfortable in my belief that turning one automatically means turning the other. I have not seen any proof to make me believe otherwise.

I'm not a professor of physics mechanical engineering like the esteemed Dr. P, but I'm pretty sure that with a rigid object like a bat, what happens at one end will effect the other end.

As far as I can tell, "swing the knob", "turn the barrel", "palm up/palm down as quickly as possible" all describe actions of perpendicular force into the handle that will result in barrel movement in an arc around the hands.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yep, (float. lag, release etc NOT a forced action)it happens when he makes his positive move into his legs thats why his hands are free to seek a pivot as well as help balance out the move out... If he was forcing/snapping from the beginning he would struggle with all the different pitches and pivots.
I guess a related question would be how much adjustment to pitch location do you think is made before he decides to swing vs after. It would obviously depend on whether the initial read was correct or not but would you put the percentage at?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I guess a related question would be how much adjustment to pitch location do you think is made before he decides to swing vs after. It would obviously depend on whether the initial read was correct or not but would you put the percentage at?
I believe allot depends on the count and situation.. Hitters count they typically setup for a certain zone.. So early in the count I would say minimal but with 2 strikes its all about protecting.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My 2 cents which isn't worth it, I like point the knob and deliver the barrel. When instructing a concept/cue what a coach/parent/hitting coach says and what a hitter hears are often two different things. For some that I work with the cue "turn the barrel" resulted in spinners. I place a "restraint" on the ground and " vertical noodle" to give my hitters a sense of where I want that action of pointing the knob and deliver the barrel to start and then go from there.

Nov 16, 2017
We need to stop focusing on what the hands are doing. It it what the elbows are doing that turns the barrel. The slotting of the back elbow to the down position and getting the front elbow along with the forearm at about a 90 degree position to the back elbow is what turns the bat. The hands don't move, the elbows do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478