Turning the barrel and launch position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I think there's more to it than that. My DD was resisting and barrel path was still messed up, triangle was not maintained. elbows got glued to her side. Maybe you are just doing it naturally or somewhere along the way you learned to maintain the triangle.. I believe it's more than just resistance.
If the hands and upper body resist as long as possible, wouldn’t the triangle be created and maintained? I swing too and when I resist hard with the upper body my obliques engage like crazy and my lead elbow works higher. Once I start thinking about thinking about a hand movement my obliques disengage and all my focus goes to my hands. That’s just my swing feelings
This is interesting. I say: do both -- engage your hands AND your stretch (you emphasize 'core' I'd describe stretch creation a little differently) rather than either/or. But your feels are your feels :)

May 12, 2016
I teach a triangle turn. I do think the elbows need to work together properly -- front elbow 'rides up the ramp' (or left or right, inside/outside) to the appropriate pitch location. Back elbow keeps its proper relationship to the front elbow.

Slam the V into a stop swing (via a heavy bag) is something I think can be a very useful teaching tool, especially for younger hitters.

That said, I still like the hitter to be executing that triangle turn by working the barrel between her hands....

In other words (reversing your phrase), if I work the hands properly, I don't have to think about the triangle turn at all :)

I like this.. and especially if you make targets on the heavy bag for pitch height.. that way you can integrate tilt as well

May 12, 2016
I don't think that I ever say the hands cause TTB
My apologies, I just assumed. So you believe the barrel is being turned in the process of slotting the elbow? I certainly don't believe that the barrel is turned after the elbow is slotted

Sep 17, 2009
Elbow slot, toe touch, heel drop, back knee turning in. Etc. etc.

These things happen (and not always, ie, toe touch) as you swing. More than anything, they are static checkpoints when demonstrating a dry swing in slow motion, or when watching a swing played back in slow motion.

That doesn't make them things you actively aim to DO. They aren't where the real action is. Teach actions, not checkpoints.

May 12, 2016
Elbow slot, toe touch, heel drop, back knee turning in. Etc. etc.

These things happen (and not always, ie, toe touch) as you swing. More than anything, they are static checkpoints when demonstrating a dry swing in slow motion, or when watching a swing played back in slow motion.

That doesn't make them things you actively aim to DO. They aren't where the real action is. Teach actions, not checkpoints.
Rich, how do you know this? How do you know that some of the pros do not aim to slot the elbow, or work the elbow up etc.. Is TTB with the hands a real action? How do you know this?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I redid the clips, for some reason my usual way wasn't working correctly. This time it worked fine.

Mankin talks about the top hand circling around the bottom hand or THT at the start of the swing. I think the circling he described is easy to see in this clip.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802