Turning the barrel and launch position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Corlay

I see the lead shoulder/arm moving fairly close to the lowering of the back elbow. It might be slightly behind, but it does move.

What do you see if this isn't the oar lock effect?

Sep 29, 2014
Plus the toe touch to heel plant that we all watch in super slo mo is a fraction of a second there is variation within players as to the exact second that all and any rear motion or hold stops and everything goes forward and this looks to be completely within that window.

Nov 16, 2017
In this excerpt, there doesn't seem to be much "pull" with the lead arm, yet.
Don't you need the lead arm pulling, to produce "oak lock" movement of the barrel?
That's the way I understand it.

The lead arm doesn't pull until the back elbow is completely slotted and the lead arm elbow is up above the plane of the pitch. If the lead elbow starts to pull too soon you will get a lead elbow going down which is not good.

TTB is a result of keeping the right forearm angle of the top hand with the bat and then slotting the back elbow. TTB = slotting back elbow. Semantics at this point.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
What do you see if this isn't the oar lock effect?

My interpretation of "oak lock" is that the top hand is more passive, and the bottom hand "pull" it what creates force around the top hand pivot point, and thus accelerates/turns the barrel. (the bottom hand is the oar "handle", the top hand is the oar "lock", the barrel is the "paddle")

In your clip, I see both hands working equally - at least in that early phase of the swing

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My interpretation of "oak lock" is that the top hand is more passive, and the bottom hand "pull" it what creates force around the top hand pivot point, and thus accelerates/turns the barrel. (the bottom hand is the oar "handle", the top hand is the oar "lock", the barrel is the "paddle")

In your clip, I see both hands working equally - at least in that early phase of the swing

Based on what I have read concerning BM's discussion of the "oar lock", I agree with your comments. I do not know if others discussed the "oar lock" prior to BM.

Oct 2, 2017
I think it seems more like a oar lock simply because of the height of the pitch. Would it still seem that way with more belt or lower pitch. How does oar lock apply to that situation? Is it simply oar lock stays the same just the lateral tilt changes?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Thanks, very good description.

Do you see the top hand being more active prior to the lead arm pulling?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

A look at the the rate of the back elbow lowering and the corresponding TTB.

How much TTB is there before the back elbow slots and the oar lock effect starts? I see very little movement of the barrel.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
How much TTB is there before the back elbow slots and the oar lock effect starts? I see very little movement of the barrel.

Early in this swing, I see the barrel "drifting", but not turning with acceleration.
Is this considered "slop"? (or... *GASP*... DBSF??!) I'm not sure. I don't consider myself an expert on such matters.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Early in this swing, I see the barrel "drifting", but not turning with acceleration.
Is this considered "slop"? (or... *GASP*... DBSF??!) I'm not sure. I don't consider myself an expert on such matters.

"Drifting" seems like a reasonable term... As soon as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, the hitter is immediately starting to process information. That process continues throughout much of the swing. Notice the very subtle differences between these two clips. Personally, I do not see any "slop" and I definitely don't see "DBSF".

4Z8nAQu.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28