Turning the barrel 7

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Check out the attached link and see if it helps...

https://youtu.be/N0_RPmPlrxM

Thanks for the link FP. I have watched this and i think someone pointed out in a different thread the point around 3:10. i guess i have seen and think i understand, but then i get confused as people seem to talk about the same thing in a different language. so i am just trying to learn all the languages to filter to the common theme. Shawn above shows the gif in 2 dimension that shows a simple pendulum. But i have seen many on other gifs of what is considered a high level swing that starts on another plane. The simple pendulum only has a single plane one directional pivot point from what i understand. I am confused if anyone subscribes to the notion that there is one more plane involved at the start and the barrel needs to start in then getting 'turned' to the horizontal forward plane targeted at the incoming ball. I am curious if anyone feels it is better to use 2 planes vs 1. Is there a benefit to the 'running start' from the other plane that helps generate more bat speed? I am agreeing with what Antonelli is saying, but that is not a single plane simple pendulum swing. IMO

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Turn it forward. That demonstration by SB ,as well as those by TM, are drills to exaggerate a certain feel which many amateurs are missing in their swings...

Thanks Pattar, i am trying to figure out if it is truly just a 'feel' or if it is an absolute in a high level swing. See prior post on the additional plane.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I fell into that trap with my DD, of TTB without any direction in mind. IMO the hands must have a direction in mind to allow TTB to be effective. Without the direction you just have an elevated case of DBSF. The barrel is just arches around the hands as direction is being fulfilled.

Edit to add: you must keep in mind contact locations. A lot of people will use images like FFS posted to demonstrate TTB because it is easy to see, which is an outside pitch... an inside pitch will look different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the "directions" is to swing down. If you just think turn the barrel rearward without the direction of swinging down/forward (swing down, back elbow lowers while hands remain in the same space/height).

Swinging down is a absolute to arcing the barrel backwards, or to turn it forward,:cool:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Feb 16, 2015
South East
One of the "directions" is to swing down. If you just think turn the barrel rearward without the direction of swinging down/forward (swing down, back elbow lowers while hands remain in the same space/height).

Swinging down is a absolute to arcing the barrel backwards, or to turn it forward,:cool:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think that may be risky to tell a developing hitter.... I’m not sure if that is what you’re implying though.... the problem that my DD had was that the hands were left behind and the swing was shoulder driven

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks Pattar, i am trying to figure out if it is truly just a 'feel' or if it is an absolute in a high level swing. See prior post on the additional plane.

Some kids just push their hands across their body before anything else is done to get the barrel to the ball. Those kids need to be able to develop a feel for working the barrel around their hands/forearms in addition to the direction "feel" which is often implicit/intuitive in developing hitters swings. Swing should appear to be taking place on the catcher's side of the body and not vice versa (stolen from FP26 who stole from Tewks..;) ) An absolute is HL hitters getting the barrel behind the ball (as Mudder's stated) as early as possible. Cannot do that with a swing which is initially all translation of the hands.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the link FP. I have watched this and i think someone pointed out in a different thread the point around 3:10. i guess i have seen and think i understand, but then i get confused as people seem to talk about the same thing in a different language. so i am just trying to learn all the languages to filter to the common theme. Shawn above shows the gif in 2 dimension that shows a simple pendulum. But i have seen many on other gifs of what is considered a high level swing that starts on another plane. The simple pendulum only has a single plane one directional pivot point from what i understand. I am confused if anyone subscribes to the notion that there is one more plane involved at the start and the barrel needs to start in then getting 'turned' to the horizontal forward plane targeted at the incoming ball. I am curious if anyone feels it is better to use 2 planes vs 1. Is there a benefit to the 'running start' from the other plane that helps generate more bat speed? I am agreeing with what Antonelli is saying, but that is not a single plane simple pendulum swing. IMO

Personally I consider a "running start" a separate but related topic. I see the running start as more of a "style" component that has a lot to do with the angle of the barrel during the move-out. For example, Pujols tends to keep his barrel more vertical, and then 'levels' it somewhat prior to launch. By comparison, some other hitters don't get the barrel vertical and therefore tend not to 'reposition' it very much before launch. Either method can be effective, but each of these hitters are TTB, IMO.

01bOEwL.gif

3eZtNEe.gif

34WJd9k.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think that may be risky to tell a developing hitter.... I’m not sure if that is what you’re implying though.... the problem that my DD had was that the hands were left behind and the swing was shoulder driven

The hands don't move down with the elbow. Swinging down isn't a problem. As with everything a little is better then exaggerating a direction (direction: rearward, forward, downward).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Personally I consider a "running start" a separate but related topic. I see the running start as more of a "style" component that has a lot to do with the angle of the barrel during the move-out. For example, Pujols tends to keep his barrel more vertical, and then 'levels' it somewhat prior to launch. By comparison, some other hitters don't get the barrel vertical and therefore tend not to 'reposition' it very much before launch. Either method can be effective, but each of these hitters are TTB, IMO.

01bOEwL.gif

What is preparation to swing and swinging?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802