Turning On A Light Bulb About Efficiency In Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
pexels-photo-1036936.jpeg

Photo by Rodolfo Clix on Pexels.com

Achieving efficiency in athletic movements is one of the most important principles in maximizing performance. Yet it’s also a concept that’s difficult to grasp, especially for younger players.

The drive to efficiency isn’t “fun.” It’s actually a lot of work, and usually starts with a lot more failure than success.

It also often requires breaking down a skill and working on a particular element until you get it right. Only when you can do it well is it inserted back into the overall skill.

Take pitching, for example. A pitcher may be over to throw the ball over the plate with decent speed, getting hitters out and winning MVP awards. A physically stronger pitcher may even be able to bring impressive speed naturally.

But until that pitcher develops a more efficient approach to how she throws the ball she will never find where her ceiling is.

While parents or coaches may understand that, players may not. Efficiency is kind of an abstract concept for them, especially these days when everyone is more focused on outcomes (Did we win? Did I perform well?) than development.

So, here’s a way of explaining explaining efficiency in terms they can understand.

Tell them to think about an LED light versus a traditional incandescent light bulb. (Depending on age, by the way, players may not know what “incandescent” means so you may need to reference an actual bulb at your home or somewhere else. Remember, they’re growing up in a world of compact florescents and LEDs.)

Let’s assume both lights are throwing out an equal amount of light into the room. Ask them what would it feel like if they walk up and touch the LED light. The correct answer, of course, is nothing. It’s like touching a table.

But what happens if they try to touch an old-fashioned light bulb? They’re going to get burned.

Then ask them if they know why one is hot and the other is not. It’s because 90% of the energy being consumed by the LED is being converted into light, while 10% is being lost as heat; the incandescent bulb is the opposite – 10% light, with 90% lost to heat.

In other words, the LED is very efficient because almost all of its power is being used for the purpose intended, while the traditional light bulb is very inefficient since most of its power is being wasted on something that is non-productive.

It’s the same with athletic skills. The more extraneous movements an athlete has, or the more things she does that get in the way of efficient movement, the less powerful she is. Even if she is trying as hard as she can.

But if she works on becoming efficient in the way she transfers the energy she has developed into the skill she is performing, she will maximize her power and effectiveness.

If you’re challenged with explaining the need to be efficient, give this analogy a try. Hopefully it turns into a light bulb moment for your player.

More...

Nov 29, 2009
Used to know a guy who was a world class doubles figure skater. He traveled the world in his late teens and early 20's. The one thing he told me years ago that stuck in my brain was "The difference between Great and Good is the elimination of unnecessary movement." I still use that as the basis for my approach when teaching kids how to play the game.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree, Sparky. When I get a new player, a lot of what I end up doing is carving away things that people have added on for no reason (other than they saw it on YouTube or learned it when they were a player). It's amazing how much crazy stuff some people will try to add to what should be fairly simple movements.

Sep 10, 2019
Used to know a guy who was a world class doubles figure skater. He traveled the world in his late teens and early 20's. The one thing he told me years ago that stuck in my brain was "The difference between Great and Good is the elimination of unnecessary movement." I still use that as the basis for my approach when teaching kids how to play the game.

Did he tell you in which part of the world he picked up that bit of knowledge or who imparted that wisdom upon him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802