Turn the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I know it's not turning the barrel,but doesn't turn the barrel also have torque of the barrel by the hands?
And the forearms......
ForearmsOverhead.gif

Maybe if you'd listen you might learn something....just saying......

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

GJseyCW.gif

FFS gif and comment ?
Personally I view the bottom 'mechanic' as someone interpreting "turning the barrel to the ball".

Instead one should 'direct the barrel to the ball'. What some refer to as TTB is only a subset of the swing ... an important subset where one is "short to" ... i.e., 'short' as they are going to the ball.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
And the forearms......
ForearmsOverhead.gif

Maybe if you'd listen you might learn something....just saying......

I never once said the forarms don't play a role. And there is no reason for a poor attitude towards someone experimenting about ways in which to feel a part of the swing. Personally I performed the same move with video I posted. I simply didn't have two hands on the barrel and did not use my forarms. I'm not sitting here saying I'm right or wrong. So you can shove it with that kind of attitude. I spend a lot time on these forums and researching ideas about hitting from all kinds of sources to listen to and learn from. There is not a single person on this forum or any where else that has everything about hitting completely figured out. Including you or me, just saying

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
I never once said the forarms don't play a role. And there is no reason for a poor attitude towards someone experimenting about ways in which to feel a part of the swing. Personally I performed the same move with video I posted. I simply didn't have two hands on the barrel and did not use my forarms. I'm not sitting here saying I'm right or wrong. So you can shove it with that kind of attitude. I spend a lot time on these forums and researching ideas about hitting from all kinds of sources to listen to and learn from. There is not a single person on this forum or any where else that has everything about hitting completely figured out. Including you or me, just saying
I commend your attempt to discover new ways of understanding and interpretation. I've worked with many players and each has a different key to understanding. You're adding to the teaching tools available.
Here's a couple of good videos I just found.

Oct 2, 2017
I commend your attempt to discover new ways of understanding and interpretation. I've worked with many players and each has a different key to understanding. You're adding to the teaching tools available.

Thanks for the videos. Just trying different ways to understand feeling in the swing, so I can relay it to my DD. A coach said, you better have at least 10 different ways to relay the one message you want a player to understand.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

In the first video the hitter is pushing the hands and getting the hands ahead of the hip rotation. So, the advice given to increase the arc sooner and behind the hitter has merit. If you tried that with a hitter who has a loopier swing in the back, the advice isn't good.

A rope bat would be a good hitting aid to use with the above hitter. A rope bat isn't a good hitting aid with someone who has a loopy swing.

Jul 29, 2013
Thanks for the videos. Just trying different ways to understand feeling in the swing, so I can relay it to my DD. A coach said, you better have at least 10 different ways to relay the one message you want a player to understand.
The arms do exert torque but try this.... Just allow the bat to free wheel with the arm as the axis of rotation (axle). In the video posted by Eric, notice that she's not really applying torque with her arms so much as allowing the transfer of the rotational energy from the turn of her body to the bat. Align the axis of the forearm to the axis of the spine.......er .......thoracic spine. When the axis' of rotation align, the energy transfer is most efficient. Hence, tilt the spine to be perpendicular to the plane of the pitch via alignment of the shoulders to the pitch plane.
Want more power? Build leg muscles and use the large muscles to create more powerful rotation. Line it all up and then swing with your legs.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The arms do exert torque but try this.... Just allow the bat to free wheel with the arm as the axis of rotation (axle). In the video posted by Eric, notice that she's not really applying torque with her arms so much as allowing the transfer of the rotational energy from the turn of her body to the bat. Align the axis of the forearm to the axis of the spine.......er .......thoracic spine. When the axis' of rotation align, the energy transfer is most efficient. Hence, tilt the spine to be perpendicular to the plane of the pitch via alignment of the shoulders to the pitch plane.
Want more power? Build leg muscles and use the large muscles to create more powerful rotation. Line it all up and then swing with your legs.

Align the axis of the forearm to the axis of the spine.......er .......thoracic spine. When the axis' of rotation align, the energy transfer is most efficient. Hence, tilt the spine to be perpendicular to the plane of the pitch via alignment of the shoulders to the pitch plane.

That is good stuff

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812