Tucking Glove on infield when throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
So some old school knowledge/teaching came up the other day. The conversation was centered on tucking the glove after fielding a ball and throwing it in the infield. I feel this technique is outdated for today's game.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this subject.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
Just saw this taught at a winter skills clinic. Instructor was a recent D1 player - IIRC, it was to cut down on the time it took to otherwise extend the glove arm before throwing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
adduct hard and it gives the thrower a little extra zip. going further upstream, it also forces them (infielders and catchers) to set the shoulder by pointing the elbow. I understand this is a generalization but I find it particularly effective in stopping sloppy errors. opposing teams get 21 outs. I'm not interested in giving them 22 or more.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The glove should be tucked as you throw, not before. Leaving it out, flopping about like fish out of water is a recipe for a bad throw.

Nov 18, 2015
What I saw, and I believe the OP was referencing, is the glove tucked before the throw.

cvs - where do you have them place the glove? Armpit? Or is the glove-arm elbow kept more at 90 degrees?

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
We definitely teach the girls to tuck the glove as they are throwing. The glove only goes out as far as the throwing hand goes back (maintaining left to right symmetry) so it doesn't take more time to get the glove up than to just leave it hanging there. They benefits are more velocity on the throw and generally better accuracy as well. Glove comes into the arm pit or chest.

Feb 3, 2016
What I saw, and I believe the OP was referencing, is the glove tucked before the throw.

cvs - where do you have them place the glove? Armpit? Or is the glove-arm elbow kept more at 90 degrees?

Correct. I give it style points like putting your pinky out when sipping a fine wine but don't see any performance advantage at all. I see the tuck less and less over the years that's why I wanted some responses from the collective here at DF..

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County

for those who "flop like a fish" or just don't set the shoulder, I have them point their glove at the target and then just bring the glove in towards the chest at a comfortable angle. the point is to time the adduct, i.e. bringing the elbow into the rib cage area, as the throwing arm is going the opposite way. again, I strive to get them to do this on every "sure" out play. I find that it tends to carry over into all their throws. of course, you may have to remind them several times during practices, eh. :D

BLB

May 19, 2008
Am I to assume that some people are suggesting bringing the glove to the chest instead of the chest to the glove, more or less?

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Am I to assume that some people are suggesting bringing the glove to the chest instead of the chest to the glove, more or less?

if you are referring to my post, when you point and bend the elbow, the glove naturally comes toward the chest. but that's not the point. the point is to bring the elbow into the rib cage as the throwing arm is going toward target. a little extra zip and a more accurate throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802