TTB vs HTTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Dunno....maybe I thought it was relevant?
Maybe I missed the point of the drill.
Stop your f'n guessing game and ENLIGHTEN ME!
I can't stop guessing until you actually explain why you posted what you did. I don't know what goes on inside that crazy brain of yours, :)

Jul 29, 2013
I can't stop guessing until you actually explain why you posted what you did. I don't know what goes on inside that crazy brain of yours, :)
So far, nobody has posted Bonds doing the "hit the plate" drill. So looking Bonds demos of his "top hand" motion, he's swinging from back to front. Not left to right. He's also supinating his back wrist in a few of the demos and I interpret that motion as TTB. He's also positioned his hands to apply a shear force on the handle which means he's applying torque to the handle. Application of force like this is the only way to swing/leverage/turn the barrel.
After viewing the video posted of the girl doing the drill, I thought I would share my experience in doing the drill myself.
I found that incorporating the tTB arm movements (that I already use) was very effective in allowing me to hit the shirt out of the ball and hit the plate.

So what do you think is the purpose of the drill?

May 12, 2016
So far, nobody has posted Bonds doing the "hit the plate" drill. So looking Bonds demos of his "top hand" motion, he's swinging from back to front. Not left to right. He's also supinating his back wrist in a few of the demos and I interpret that motion as TTB. He's also positioned his hands to apply a shear force on the handle which means he's applying torque to the handle. Application of force like this is the only way to swing/leverage/turn the barrel.
After viewing the video posted of the girl doing the drill, I thought I would share my experience in doing the drill myself.
I found that incorporating the tTB arm movements (that I already use) was very effective in allowing me to hit the shirt out of the ball and hit the plate.

So what do you think is the purpose of the drill?
Can't picture it, can you post a video of you doing the drill and hitting the shirt out of the plate with your hand action

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
In watching her do this drill and we both (Haley & I) realize it’s not perfect, she chops to hit it on the plate just as julray said. As she progress bouncing the ball further out, she TTB like Bobby described Until she hitting Low line drives to the outfield With her full swing. Not intending to hijack Shauns post, I’ll put Haley drill today on her page.

who wants ice cream 🍦

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In watching her do this drill and we both (Haley & I) realize it’s not perfect, she chops to hit it on the plate just as julray said. As she progress bouncing the ball further out, she TTB like Bobby described Until she hitting Low line drives to the outfield With her full swing.

who wants ice cream 🍦

Haley just needs to stand farther back in the box and then the ball will bounce off the plate. Not sure how Yelich and Bonds did the drill.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here's another version of the 'clearing the hand path drill'

- Eliminate Pop Flies | Hand Path Drill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802