TTB and Swing Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I don't care for the term forced... However, if you are asking if TTB is created by the hands/forums, yes, I believe it is. The core is heavily involved throughout the entire process. It has to be. But no matter how you contract or release the core, it cannot make the barrel turn without other body parts. The core is not attached to the bat.
That's the portion of the argument that heavily get debated. Regardless, I believe the barrel gets turned in every swing

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's the portion of the argument that heavily get debated. Regardless, I believe the barrel gets turned in every swing

@RichK did an excellent job of explaining. The final paragraph especially. You agree that "the barrel gets turned in every swing". If the hands are not involved, how does it get turned?

May 12, 2016
As promised, had my painting close on.

Thanks for posting and I applaud your effort, however that swing so around your body, it's actually kind of humorous watching you trying keep your shoulders as level as possible. And I don't mean you look funny, so don't take offense, it's just I thought overall everything looked pretty good, but you have no posture in your swing, you are standing tall and swinging down.. there is no lateral tilt, Pros don't have that kind of posture when they swing the bat. Again, thanks for posting so I can understand what you are visualizing. Some key components missing IMO.

@RichK did an excellent job of explaining. The final paragraph especially. You agree that "the barrel gets turned in every swing". If the hands are not involved, how does it get turned?
I believe the hands can be detrimental in TTB... but it's not the hands alone that causes the barrel to turn. My point and the point I've been making all along, TTB is not a forced action, not something that the hitters practice. TTB is a product, not something that's forced. The pros practicing TTB, because TTB happens naturally in a swing

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for posting and I applaud your effort, however that swing so around your body, it's actually kind of humorous watching you trying keep your shoulders as balanced as possible.

I believe the hands can be detrimental in TTB... but it's not the hands alone that causes the barrel to turn. My point and the point I've been making all along, TTB is not a forced action, not something that the hitters practice. TTB is a product, not something that's forced. The pros practicing TTB, because TTB happens naturally in a swing

My point behind posting that is that the instruction that Pujols and ARod give may work for them, it may for others, but for people who take things literally like I do, it is not good instruction. I swung just as they said. And that is the problem. I did it just as they said.

Later in the video I swung that bat as I understand and the result is way different.

Oct 2, 2017

I would say that the hands are involved. whether consciously or not. I came to this conclusion, from watching a video of my DD swinging. I noticed she wasn't gripping the bat properly and or tight enough. So when the elbow started to slot, her hand would rotate or slip around the barrel. Now, with that picture in mind, think about what that action is doing to the bat handle with a proper grip, and or tight enough grip. TTB? I don't know if this aids in the conversation, but I think its a good visual that the hands are active in the swing to TTB. Again consciously or not.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks for posting and I applaud your effort, however that swing so around your body, it's actually kind of humorous watching you trying keep your shoulders as balanced as possible.

Can the hands be detrimental? Sure. That is why I mentioned overbaking a few days ago. But the hands are also important. I didn't say "the hands alone". But I did say that it is not the "core alone". They both need to be involved. You and I are not too far off, we are just coming at it differently.

May 12, 2016
My point behind posting that is that the instruction that Pujols and ARod give may work for them, it may for others, but for people who take things literally like I do, it is not good instruction. I swung just as they said. And that is the problem. I did it just as they said.

Later in the video I swung that bat as I understand and the result is way different.
If you swung as Pujois said, you would of just stood and moved your hands. That's what he did. Love to you see you do it again, with the same posture, tilt, and without your upper travelling past your front hip. Just like your last swing, but thinking down to. Personally I believe your swing would be much improved then your last one, you would stay on plane longer, stay through the ball more, and not hit around your body so much... Just like Trout ;)

Again, thanks for posting your swing.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida

Exactly, and it leads to this type of instruction.....

PMhMwK7.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
At some point one needs to want to understand what these guys are saying and try to duplicate... Bottom line the barrel gets turned to some degree on the good, the bad, and the ugly swings.. IOW's all swings.

This is a good example of someone not wanting to understand what's being said.

xZVGm7d.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45