TTB and Swing Adjustability

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Just for clarity, what exactly did you disagree with in @FP26 's actual statement?

Sorry I meant to quote this one.
In an attempt to quell some of the confusion, let's review what we have learned so far.

1) Here is an example of a hitter swinging "down and to" the ball. He is creating "out front" bat speed.

m8ftpzf.gif

2) By comparison, here is an example of a hitter swinging "behind and through". He is turning the barrel in order to create early bat speed.

m8ftpzf.gif

Hopefully that answers everyone's questions ;)

Feb 25, 2020
Yea, kind of reminds me of this guy forcing bat speed behind him by ttb .

ZR3yDY5.gif

vs this guy who allows the barrel to float behind him until the pitch calls for go.

gCwrFsM.gif

Im not quite sure how to take this post. Antonelli was a 1rst round draft pick and a major leaguer. He is not a slouch by any means. He also now coaches multitudes of pretty good players.

Are you saying he is full of crap?

An argument could be made that he may have a leg up on Bonds as to what works for mid-low level players(aka mere mortals), as he's coached hundreds of them personally. I dont think he would be preaching that feel if it didnt work for alot of his players.

Also, if your gonna play the "Antonelli wasnt as good as Bonds card" Id like to see yours and julrays swings amd exit speeds. At least weve seen teachermans.

May 12, 2016
I can’t speak for TDS... but I suck, lol. My argument is simple, listen to the best in the game, don’t discount them because you don’t understand what they are saying. I have no issues with Antonelli, but I certainly understand where TDS is coming from. Why do I need to demo my swing, I’ve posted the best in the world and how they build/perfect their swing, your argument is with them, not me. You want to follow what Antonelli teaches, knock your socks off, I’ll keep on listening to the best hitters in the world.

Feb 25, 2020
I can’t speak for TDS... but I suck, lol. My argument is simple, listen to the best in the game, don’t discount them because you don’t understand what they are saying. I have no issues with Antonelli, but I certainly understand where TDS is coming from. Why do I need to demo my swing, I’ve posted the best in the world and how they build/perfect their swing, your argument is with them, not me. You want to follow what Antonelli teaches, knock your socks off, I’ll keep on listening to the best hitters in the world.

Yes! You just proved the point that it doesnt matter what the pros say! You can use their feels and stink! But it works for them though obviously! You cant jam a square peg into a round hole.

In my opinion being Pujols's hitting coach for the last 15 years would have been the cushiest job in the world. He/she could have told Albert to hold the fat end of the bat and he still would have hit!

I think certain feels can have many effects on the swing (depending on the player) Telling someone to actively TTB can fix their tilt, bat path, etc all with one feel.

This has been a great thread! We all know what a good swing looks like. Give players cues til you find what works for them!(this changes over time for most)

May 12, 2016
Yes! You just proved the point that it doesnt matter what the pros say! You can use their feels and stink! But it works for them though obviously! You cant jam a square peg into a round hole.

In my opinion being Pujols's hitting coach for the last 15 years would have been the cushiest job in the world. He/she could have told Albert to hold the fat end of the bat and he still would have hit!

I think certain feels can have many effects on the swing (depending on the player) Telling someone to actively TTB can fix their tilt, bat path, etc all with one feel.

This has been a great thread! We all know what a good swing looks like. Give players cues til you find what works for them!(this changes over time for most)
I don’t play MLB, nor do I swing the bat anymore so not sure how anything I just said was some lightbulb moment for you, lol. i guess you are a superstar pro. What’s the point in posting my swing when I have the best in the world proving what they say day after day. It’s not just Pujois. Let’s see your swing compared to Pujois, Trout, Yelich, Arod, etc etc. I guess that logic makes sense considering what you just said.1584248535394.png

Feb 25, 2020
I don’t play MLB, nor do I swing the bat anymore so not sure how anything I just said was some lightbulb moment for you, lol. i guess you are a superstar pro. What’s the point in posting my swing when I have the best in the world proving what they say day after day. It’s not just Pujois. Let’s see your swing compared to Pujois, Trout, Yelich, Arod, etc etc. I guess that logic makes sense considering what you just said.View attachment 16674

It should have been a lightbulb for you.

May 12, 2016
It should have been a lightbulb for you.
Doesn't mean anything to me.. I don't play ball anymore superstar, I don't swing the bat. Every now and then I pick it up and take a swing to see if something makes sense, that's it. If Trout, Pujois, Yelich, Freeman etc can't convince you, then why the hell would me posting my swing make a lick of difference. LOL, what a joke

Feb 25, 2020
Doesn't mean anything to me.. I don't play ball anymore superstar, I don't swing the bat. Every now and then I pick it up and take a swing to see if something makes sense, that's it. If Trout, Pujois, Yelich, Freeman etc can't convince you, then why the hell would me posting my swing make a lick of difference. LOL, what a joke

I would like you to read back through this thread.

You, yourself, have asked for others' swings. Yet "you suck".

At one point you say you would love to hear from "mantle or ruth" as to what they are doing. Then someone posts Ted Williams' criticism of the "down to" feel and you discount it as an obscure article from 1986 that is unworthy.

Please just admit that TTB might work for some players.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I disagree, teach your students the fundamentals and it will work for them. It will give them better understanding and help them correct when something is wrong. And things will go wrong.

I get it... You disagree by agreeing with me but saying you dont. Pretty cool.... What it comes down to is simple. There are hundreds/thousands of coaches out there that have been successful teaching hitters. Not all of them teach the same way. They dont all use the phrases you like. They dont all use the phrases I like. Why is that? Rhetorical... And the truth is... It really doesnt matter. The success is what matters. If your methods work for you that is awesome. I hope every student you teach becomes a pro. I really do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812