TTB and Lag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Can somebody explain how TTB(TM's version with immediate supination) creates lag.. vs keeping the wrist cocked while staying connected. TTB is all about creating early bat speed, not sure how you can create early batspeed and create lag at the same time.. in order to create you early batspeed you are releasing potential lag IMO.

Feb 25, 2020
I think as long as the handle is accelerating there will be lag. When the handle stops the barrel releases(and accelerates greatly).

Holding lag in my opinion is a big no no. This golf video is pretty cool and explains why holding lag is no good for most people. I think this video is right up there with the Tiger video.

The pertinent part starts around 3:35(the whole video is pretty good if you golf).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Holding the barrel vertically, and turning it toward the ground behind you (turn the triangle) to create a "running start" does not change the angle of either wrist.

Supination of the rear forearm (top hand) does not change the angle of the top hand wrist.

Release (adduction/ulnar deviation) of the bottom hand wrist angle begins at "go" in conjunction with supination of the rear forearm.

The hands moving forward away from the shoulder while maintaining the angle in the bottom hand wrist is a push, and is an unnecessary waste of precious time.

Launch quickness is critical. Why in the world would you want to do anything that takes longer to deliver the barrel to contact?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There is a timing variable that you are not accounting for. Each pitch is not thrown at the same speed and each timing window varies. For example, up and in is much a quicker reaction than low and away. Even if the same pitch is being thrown.

Being able to ‘lag’ the bat is an adjustment factor and let’s one be early, on time or a bit late while taking the most direct line to that particular pitch without COMMITMENT. That’s a running start.

why in the world would someone think that the release of the swing is at the same time and same spot all the time?

1:20 mark

Notice Barry say if it’s here(outside)he’s down towards the plate more.. delaying the release of the barrel maybe? If it here (inside) he towards the ball/pitcher a bit more.. releasing the barrel a bit sooner maybe? Adjustable release maybe? This enables Barry to move out for a fastball anywhere in the zone.

Lag isn’t a goal, it’s an effect. TMs stuff is a cast. He’s told me as much on twitter. A cast is a longer route to the ball.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Before we get into the weeds, I can find video of very good hitters doing or not doing something at both ends of the spectrum. I think this fact alone has confused many ideas on what happens.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is a timing variable that you are not accounting for. Each pitch is not thrown at the same speed and each timing window varies. For example, up and in is much a quicker reaction than low and away. Even if the same pitch is being thrown.

Being able to ‘lag’ the bat is an adjustment factor and let’s one be early, on time or a bit late while taking the most direct line to that particular pitch without COMMITMENT. That’s a running start.

why in the world would someone think that the release of the swing is at the same time and same spot all the time?

1:20 mark

Notice Barry say if it’s here(outside)he’s down towards the plate more.. delaying the release of the barrel maybe? If it here (inside) he towards the ball/pitcher a bit more.. releasing the barrel a bit sooner maybe? Adjustable release maybe? This enables Barry to move out for a fastball anywhere in the zone.

Lag isn’t a goal, it’s an effect. TMs stuff is a cast. He’s told me as much on twitter. A cast is a longer route to the ball.

You make some valid points about timing and location adjustment. Maybe I was being a bit too dramatic - LOL. Being able to adjust is also important. However, I strongly disagree with the idea that a hitter should intentionally create and hold bottom wrist angle for later out-front release as part of their basic swing pattern.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Before we get into the weeds, I can find video of very good hitters doing or not doing something at both ends of the spectrum. I think this fact alone has confused many ideas on what happens.

thats what these threads are for Shawn. Put up your examples. let’s discuss.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
thats what these threads are for Shawn. Put up your examples. let’s discuss.

Let’s just start with outside pitches and inside pitches. Mankin said that hitters who could hit the outside pitches well displayed THT and inside hitters displayed BHT. That’s a jumping off point.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You make some valid points about timing and location adjustment. Maybe I was being a bit too dramatic - LOL. Being able to adjust is also important. However, I strongly disagree with the idea that a hitter should intentionally create and hold bottom wrist angle for later out-front release as part of their basic swing pattern.

agreed. I dont want a holding of the bottom hand wrist hinge either. I want the knob pointed to the inside half of the ball no matter where it’s located. Griffey’s explanation coupled with the Barry video is how I see it.

May 12, 2016
I think as long as the handle is accelerating there will be lag. When the handle stops the barrel releases(and accelerates greatly).

Holding lag in my opinion is a big no no. This golf video is pretty cool and explains why holding lag is no good for most people. I think this video is right up there with the Tiger video.

The pertinent part starts around 3:35(the whole video is pretty good if you golf).

Thanks, I do not mean holding lag either.. but it’s important to have a swing where lag is generated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802