TTB and Lag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
agreed. I dont want a holding of the bottom hand wrist hinge either. I want the knob pointed to the inside half of the ball no matter where it’s located. Griffey’s explanation coupled with the Barry video is how I see it.

Talk about the palm

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Talk about the palm

the feeling that Griff is showing imo is that of staying on top and not releasing the barrel underneath. A feel of always staying above or level to the ball. The reason why it looks weird is the body side bends during a real swing but the barrel stays ‘on top’ in relation to the hands. Yes of course it drops below in relation to the ground. But not the hands.

1593742214907.gif

May 12, 2016
I also don't believe in pushing the hands away from the shoulder.. like Eric said a push swing. I also don't like TTB (TM's version), like W said, it's casting. I like the hands to stay initially connected with the shoulder which be working directly to the ball

Sep 17, 2009
Julray, I am a big advocate of active hands, a tip and rip type movement. IMO, it's akin to working a bullwhip, it's not about setting the lag but rather about the change of direction (supported by the body and the sequence). Do this correctly and lag is absolutely created (it can't NOT be created). I think the bigger danger of bypassing *true* lag is pre-setting it and overbaking a down-to direct path. That creates the *look* of barrel lag but not the action.

IMO, one of the problems with the hitter in this thread is a breakdown in how she uses her hands...she tips (much too flat, losing the barrel behind her) and then her hands go completely dead and she drags the barrel around with her body. It's why as much as I think the sequence and large body movements are critical teaches, I like to start a hitter out with some basic understanding of how the hands should work to create, as WW said above and I agree, timing, adjustment and, as I say here, change of direction of the barrel.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Julray, I am a big advocate of active hands, a tip and rip type movement. IMO, it's akin to working a bullwhip, it's not about setting the lag but rather about the change of direction (supported by the body and the sequence). Do this correctly and lag is absolutely created (it can't NOT be created). I think the bigger danger of bypassing *true* lag is pre-setting it and overbaking a down-to direct path. That creates the *look* of barrel lag but not the action.

IMO, one of the problems with the hitter in this thread is a breakdown in how she uses her hands...she tips (much too flat, losing the barrel behind her) and then her hands go completely dead and she drags the barrel around with her body. It's why as much as I think the sequence and large body movements are critical teaches, I like to start a hitter out with some basic understanding of how the hands should work to create, as WW said above and I agree, timing, adjustment and, as I say here, change of direction of the barrel.

yes, dead hands.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting him saying he developed power and was hands hitter growing up.
His perfect game profile said he had surprising power and that he won a HR derby in HS. He was also 170 as Sr in HS so he may have talking about early teens when he probably weighed 140 soaking wet 😃

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802