Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
my $0.02

do not spend $3000 at 8u, nothing they are learning at that age is worth that much. and you do not need trainers who played D1 at that age each. it is still rudimentary fundamentals (move to the ball, get in front, etc.). just make certain that the coaches know basic fundamentals at that age.

anyone charging $3000 for 8u is just doing a money grab.

and no matter where she goes, if she can pitch relatively well for the age group, she will. good pitching is a limited commodity

It was $3,000 for 10U, not including uniforms. They do a big trip to Louisiana each year, since they are associated with Jennie Finch, but not sure if that is included in the price. But $3,000 at this age seems pretty insane.

For 10-U in the fall, I think Team C beat Team B 6-4, and Team B beat team A 9-6, although I don't think any players will return from any of them. I'd say for 10-U this season, Team C and Team B were the 6th and 7th best in the state.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It was $3,000 for 10U, not including uniforms. They do a big trip to Louisiana each year, since they are associated with Jennie Finch, but not sure if that is included in the price. But $3,000 at this age seems pretty insane.

For 10-U in the fall, I think Team C beat Team B 6-4, and Team B beat team A 9-6, although I don't think any players will return from any of them. I'd say for 10-U this season, Team C and Team B were the 6th and 7th best in the state.

$3000 is insane for 10U.

Ignore wins and losses, or rankings. Seriously. What's most important right now is your DD's development of her skills and game knowledge, and the growth of her love of the game.

Nov 22, 2019
$3000 is insane for 10U.

Ignore wins and losses, or rankings. Seriously. What's most important right now is your DD's development of her skills and game knowledge, and the growth of her love of the game.
Yes, the plan was to stick with her current team at least one more year, as it was a good fit. But they didn't have enough pitchers for 12U, so they got rid of both 10-U and 12U. They are combining with their biggest rival (my daughter was the only girl on the team for another town) the town over to form 1 or 2 teams. My daughter was 1 of 3 2010s playing on their main 10U team, and I'm not sure how many were on the other team.

The new location is now 40 minutes away from us, and the other team left a bad taste in my mouth when we scrimmaged them as one of the parents was taunting our team's players calling out "loser" from the outfield when they made a mistake. My daughter also would have to tryout. My thought is there may also be too many politics involved with this merger, and we were already the outsiders. The head coach's daughter and best pitcher will actually be moving to Team B's 12-U next year (she guested for them on numerous occasions), so I think my daughter would like to follow her (even though she will be playing a year lower at 10-U). But then you have the dilemma of being one of the older girls on a team, so what happens the year after.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Staying away from a toxic parent environment is advisable.

In my experience, 40min is easily within the range of "typical" for drive time for TB. In the years to come, you will find out how valuable that travel time actually is. In our 5 years playing TB (since 10U), the only team we've been with that has been closer that that is my DD's current 16U team, and this is in the softball-dense area of So Cal.

Nov 22, 2019
Staying away from a toxic parent environment is advisable.

In my experience, 40min is easily within the range of "typical" for drive time for TB. In the years to come, you will find out how valuable that travel time actually is. In our 5 years playing TB (since 10U), the only team we've been with that has been closer that that is my DD's current 16U team, and this is in the softball-dense area of So Cal.

Yes, the other 3 teams are 32 minutes, 30 minutes, and 22 minutes, so not that much farther. But the other stuff makes me less want to travel that far. Our friend was playing on a team from Chicago her last year or so of travel, so almost everything makes that look shorter.

Jul 29, 2016
Sweet summer child, bless your heart - you have so much to learn.

First, I think it is a very bad idea to base your team choice on how far away they are. The deeper you get into travel ball, the more you will come to realize that the "real" travel is to and from tournaments. If you care about drive-time, you should be looking at where they're going to play tournament, not where they're going to practice.

I, too, think that $3K is steep for your daughter's level of play, but if it is the right team, it might be worth it. I'd suggest you evaluate all other factors before you consider costs unless the $250/month is going to stretch your family budget - if that's the case, you should entirely eliminate the $3K team.

As far as trying out and "waiting" - I'd suggest you make arrangements with the team for a private workout. That will guarantee that your daughter doesn't get lost in the shuffle and all eyes will be on her and maybe a couple of other girls. Usually private workouts end with a private offer or a pass (which usually comes in the form of "come to our organizational workout"). So your family should consider what you're going to do if the offer is made on the spot. This should also factor into your timing of the workout.

Last, and probably most important, is the concept advanced by several ITT of "if they want your daughter, they'll wait." That is largely true, but the coaches have to fill out their team, and waiting on your daughter could put them behind the eight-ball if they wait. We have had a couple of occasions over the years where our daughter has been offered a spot which was "held" only to be withdrawn a week later when they found someone who was willing to commit on the spot.

Its a lot to digest, I know, and I wish you luck.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Yes, the plan was to stick with her current team at least one more year, as it was a good fit. But they didn't have enough pitchers for 12U, so they got rid of both 10-U and 12U. They are combining with their biggest rival (my daughter was the only girl on the team for another town) the town over to form 1 or 2 teams. My daughter was 1 of 3 2010s playing on their main 10U team, and I'm not sure how many were on the other team.

The new location is now 40 minutes away from us, and the other team left a bad taste in my mouth when we scrimmaged them as one of the parents was taunting our team's players calling out "loser" from the outfield when they made a mistake. My daughter also would have to tryout. My thought is there may also be too many politics involved with this merger, and we were already the outsiders. The head coach's daughter and best pitcher will actually be moving to Team B's 12-U next year (she guested for them on numerous occasions), so I think my daughter would like to follow her (even though she will be playing a year lower at 10-U). But then you have the dilemma of being one of the older girls on a team, so what happens the year after.

Cardinal rule: DON'T JOIN A TEAM WHERE YOUR DD PLAYS THE SAME POSITION AS THE HC'S DAUGHTER! Learn from me, grasshopper. The odds will never be in your favor. Do not doubt me on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28