Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2019
USA
I am just a parent. I have never played a sport in my life. My daughter is a great ball player, and is definitely top 3 on our team. And I will admit, I want her surrounded by players that match her skill level! Unless the kid(s) in question are highly coachable, have a great attitude, and are working at home to get better - I would replace them! Winning isn't everything, but it is important! We've played on a team that lost all of the time, because they would take anyone that came to tryouts, and it SUCKED! B level or not, you have to earn your spot!

Apr 28, 2019
Loaded question, but would appreciate advice.

We are wrapping up a successful inaugural season in about 5 weeks. We kept our team basically intact with 12 girls for the whole season (August-current).

When it comes to tryouts for next fall, how are coaches handling?

1. Everyone is invited to tryouts and no spots are held over.
2. Some spots are held over and the other girls need to tryout again?
3. No tryouts unless someone leaves on their own?
4. Bring everyone back, but cut 1-2 players and host smaller tryouts to fill specific needs?
5. Other?

12u B level team.
In order to be fair I think you should have everybody tryout again. You already know who your core players are you want to keep. You also know the players on the fence that you would like to replace if possible. It’s the devil you know vs the devil you don’t.
You could have a couple of girls that aren’t impact players yet but know their roles, are coachable, and promote good team chemistry.
You could bring in kids that don’t fit the role you invision for them and create problems for you and the team.
Having said that the mission should always be improving the team and skills of your players.
If you have great kids that you know will work hard and improve outside of team practice embrace that. Maybe tryouts aren’t necessary. Run with what you have. Especially if the parents are helpful and supportive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812