Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Loaded question, but would appreciate advice.

We are wrapping up a successful inaugural season in about 5 weeks. We kept our team basically intact with 12 girls for the whole season (August-current).

When it comes to tryouts for next fall, how are coaches handling?

1. Everyone is invited to tryouts and no spots are held over.
2. Some spots are held over and the other girls need to tryout again?
3. No tryouts unless someone leaves on their own?
4. Bring everyone back, but cut 1-2 players and host smaller tryouts to fill specific needs?
5. Other?

12u B level team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess it depends on your goals. Are you trying to develop the group you have, or field the best team you can?

Sep 23, 2018
I guess it depends on your goals. Are you trying to develop the group you have, or field the best team you can?

The goal is to keep as many of the girls as possible since I believe that keeping a solid core will help develop a strong team, plus I like my team/girls. The issue is we have a few position needs that can’t be fixed internally.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
The goal is to keep as many of the girls as possible since I believe that keeping a solid core will help develop a strong team, plus I like my team/girls. The issue is we have a few position needs that can’t be fixed internally.

I agree. This is similar to our situation. So how do you handle?

Apr 28, 2019
Loaded question, but would appreciate advice.

We are wrapping up a successful inaugural season in about 5 weeks. We kept our team basically intact with 12 girls for the whole season (August-current).

When it comes to tryouts for next fall, how are coaches handling?

1. Everyone is invited to tryouts and no spots are held over.
2. Some spots are held over and the other girls need to tryout again?
3. No tryouts unless someone leaves on their own?
4. Bring everyone back, but cut 1-2 players and host smaller tryouts to fill specific needs?
5. Other?

12u B level team.
That’s a tough question. From what I have seen many teams keep a core group 5/6 players and try to upgrade the other positions during tryouts.
If you have a good team that your content with and all the players want to come back that is great. Especially if the families all get along and it’s a pleasant experience to be on/around the team. That way you can spend more time on developing your girls skills than looking for other players. Time well spent IMO.

Jun 11, 2012
I’d hold a open tryout and require all the current players to attend. DD’s former coaches never guaranteed anyone’s spot and told the girls they had to earn it. The returning girls for the most part worked harder because the wanted to shine above the new competition. In most cases all (except 1 one year) of the girls were offered a spot for the next year and one year we were able to weed out a crazy parent.
Also, even though they might all say they are coming back sometimes that doesn’t happen and you don’t want to be stuck looking for a player or two after tryouts have been held for all of the other teams

May 1, 2019
Nothing wrong with having the best player at each position. That being said The better TEAM beats better TALENT

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Nothing wrong with having the best player at each position. That being said The better TEAM beats better TALENT
I agree with this sentiment. The longer you can hold a team together and develop them the better they will be. That being said there is always room for improvement and that may mean cutting 1, 2, or 3 in order to continue to move forward. This is the manner in which DD HC worked through 10U and now 12U. The core of the team has been together (7 or 8 girls) but we have had to make cuts here and there.

Mar 28, 2014
In my opinion at the B level, you give everyone a spot that wants a spot. Trying to upgrade the roster every season is for top level Class A teams only IMO because at any other level, development should be the goal, not trying to put together a winning team. Just remember, for every new girl added, one of your existing players is being separated from her teammates. And for what??? A better shot at a $4 trophy at some local tournament?

Guarantee them a spot with the caveat that they have to commit by signing a commitment letter and they cannot attend other tryouts. Then you will know exactly how many you have coming back and can prepare accordingly.

But by all means plan on having tryouts because there is a 99.9% chance that you will lose at least one from the current team. Better odds that you will lose 3-4. Either one or more of your top 1-4 players will leave for what they consider a better team. And one or more of your bottom 1-3 players will likely leave for more playing time. And of course one or 2 may leave for "better coaching" or will quit the sport altogether to concentrate on Volleyball or Swimming or whatever. So you need to plan on replacing a few players, even if they are all guaranteed a spot

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In my opinion at the B level, you give everyone a spot that wants a spot. Trying to upgrade the roster every season is for top level Class A teams only IMO because at any other level, development should be the goal, not trying to put together a winning team. Just remember, for every new girl added, one of your existing players is being separated from her teammates. And for what??? A better shot at a $4 trophy at some local tournament?

Guarantee them a spot with the caveat that they have to commit by signing a commitment letter and they cannot attend other tryouts. Then you will know exactly how many you have coming back and can prepare accordingly.

But by all means plan on having tryouts because there is a 99.9% chance that you will lose at least one from the current team. Better odds that you will lose 3-4. Either one or more of your top 1-4 players will leave for what they consider a better team. And one or more of your bottom 1-3 players will likely leave for more playing time. And of course one or 2 may leave for "better coaching" or will quit the sport altogether to concentrate on Volleyball or Swimming or whatever. So you need to plan on replacing a few players, even if they are all guaranteed a spot

Texas Heat is spot on. You will lose players naturally. I wouldn't cut anyone as many will cut themselves. As the team ages up you will need to have more players. I would only add players that are better than your bottom 6 players. Once the bottom players figure out the team is getting better and they are not advancing they will find a better fit or quit softball all together.

DD's 18U coach would conduct one on one summer ending player reviews. He would ask for a commitment right then and there for the fall. One girl hemmed and hawed and wouldn't sign the commitment letter. Coach asked for her uniforms and wished her well. On the flip side back in 14U the coach did not reach out to the families individually to see what their plans were. When tryouts came around most of the core players dispersed and did not show up to the 2 day tryouts. When they started looking at a 12U pitcher, I knew it was time to have a plan B. Once we left the team dissolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28