Tryout season ugggh!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In so cal there are so many teams and wanna be teams. Too many coaches starting teams because they are better than the last coach their DD played for and to insure their DD starts at SS and bats in the 2 hole or gets time in the circle. And the organizations (disorganizations) give out their blessings and uniforms ($) to anybody that can get 9 girls to sign up for the dream. So parents have so many choices if their DD has a little talent that they can indifferent and jump teams whenever they want. If your DD is highly talented coaches will be trying to poach them also with free uniforms and low dues. So you have protectionism, mens egos and money involved. I mean what could go wrong?

Jun 12, 2015
Well I sure wish parents would tell me if they were there just to “workout” or see what tryouts are like. I’m trying to build a team so essentially, it’s wasting my time when I set up a private tryout. Just simply frustrating! More power to you coaches that have done this for many years.
I think this would apply more to open workouts than private tryouts. It doesn't waste anyone's time to attend an open workout even if you don't think it's the right team, just to check it out. I think that's what open workouts are for. But I can't imagine setting up a private tryout for a team we weren't interested in.

Jun 4, 2014
How can you determine what level of instruction your daughter would get from me through a tryout where there is no instruction being given because...it’s a TRYOUT!

Be willing to give this statement some thought. In our experience, the best tryouts are run like a practice. Yes, you can throw some measurables in with that. As a parent, when I take my daughter to a tryout, I'm evaluating the coaches as well. How organized is the tryout? How much instruction is given? How do the coaches interact with the players? If I get the impression from a tryout that it's the kind of team that will have 1 girl hit while 10 girls shag balls, it doesn't matter how good the team is, it's "Thanks, but no thanks." As a coach, you should be looking to showcase your knowledge, abilities and organization too.

Jun 24, 2019
Be willing to give this statement some thought. In our experience, the best tryouts are run like a practice. Yes, you can throw some measurables in with that. As a parent, when I take my daughter to a tryout, I'm evaluating the coaches as well. How organized is the tryout? How much instruction is given? How do the coaches interact with the players? If I get the impression from a tryout that it's the kind of team that will have 1 girl hit while 10 girls shag balls, it doesn't matter how good the team is, it's "Thanks, but no thanks." As a coach, you should be looking to showcase your knowledge, abilities and organization too.

I provided much knowledge on my skill set however, I’m not going to give girls instruction on what they need to do when I’m assessing their skill set during a tryout. I give encouragement and empowerment but for me, instruction doesn’t really need to take place during a tryout. If you have 50 girls showing up, you can’t provide instruction for each individual girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
Well I sure wish parents would tell me if they were there just to “workout” or see what tryouts are like. I’m trying to build a team so essentially, it’s wasting my time when I set up a private tryout. Just simply frustrating! More power to you coaches that have done this for many years.

You’re going to need to develop thicker skin. While the player is trying out for you, you’re trying out for the family. Thinking they’re wasting your time if they turn you down may have something to do with it. Are you wasting parents time of every kid you don’t invite to your team? It’s the same thing. For whatever reason they didn’t think it’s a good match. Just wish them well and move on.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So as a new 12u coach, I’m discovering how much this process sucks. I’ve literally had a parent decline a offer after a tryout because “I don’t feel like my kids would get the instruction she needs.” How can you determine what level of instruction your daughter would get from me through a tryout where there is no instruction being given because...it’s a TRYOUT! Please someone tell me that it’s not just me that is struggling with the adults?

This process is definitely frustrating. No doubt about it. Luckily my first experience with coaching travel ball came for an organization with very experienced coaches. We did tryouts for multiple age groups at one time, and the key coaches from each team were present. They were able to spot the "tryout jumpers" right away and pointed them out to us. It didn't take long before we were able to spot them as well. In some cases we would take the chance of making an offer even though it was doubtful. In other cases we didn't even bother with an offer because we knew better.

Funny story.... 2nd year 14u one of the better players in our region showed up to our tryouts. She had played for a rival team for several years, and we were all quite confident she was going back to them. We allowed her to try out, but we did not offer her a spot. A few weeks later we find that her dad was complaining to one of our dads, shocked that we didn't offer her a spot. Our dad asked if she would have accepted. Her dad said "no, but we were expecting the offer." The life of a coach...

Nov 18, 2015
Yeah - I don't know what I'd do if 50 girls showed up to our tryouts. Jump for joy? Hide in my car? Cry? Stand there looking dazed and confused? Oh, wait, that one I may already be doing.

While I don't think parents are expecting step-by-step instruction on how to throw or hit, my plan for our upcoming tryouts is take a few minutes at the very start to review what it is I'm looking for / what we teach - throwing as a continuous motion, butt up / chest down when fielding grounders, timing / moving BEFORE the pitch is released, etc.

If they struggle with those concepts, that's OK, b/c I'm not looking for them to have already mastered the skill. It's more a way to determine "coach-ability" - are they willing to try to incorporate what I'm showing them with what they already do or know?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse