Tryout Season (aka Silly Season)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
Regarding telling the coach, say nothing until you commit to another team. From experience, as soon as you tell the coach your looking the relationship changes immediately. He can't count on your DD for the roster spot, so he begins to protect the team's interests. Once you commit to another team, tell him right away so he can make plans. If your reasons for changing are logical, he will understand. If he doesn't, then that's his problem and he'll get over it.

I think this is the crux of the problem right here. No blame to either side, but if you are on a TB team and you can't talk honestly with the coach and the coach can't trust the parents to let them know intentions, that starts all the drama that others are referring to which makes this the silly season.

Jan 31, 2015
Thoughts about a club coach offering all current players a spot on next year's roster, but requiring a $200+ non-refundable deposit NOW before all the other competition tryouts?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thoughts about a club coach offering all current players a spot on next year's roster, but requiring a $200+ non-refundable deposit NOW before all the other competition tryouts?

Not something I have done, but I am familiar with some organizations that have done this. Personally I don't really see an issue with it. The team is willing to show a level of commitment to the players, and is asking for some commitment in return. A little 'skin in the game' as they say. It has always been my belief that commitment is a two way street. And if DD wanted to attend the other tryouts, I would tell the coach that upfront.

Our organization typically held its tryouts in early August and then tried to play in a couple of tournaments in late August or early September. When a player committed, we asked them to pay the uniform fee immediately so that we could have uniforms ready for that first tournament. All other fees could be paid at a later time. If the player left after those fall tournaments, they did not get a refund, but they could keep the uniform :)

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA

If I was on the fence about staying on the team but nervous about whether another offer would be forthcoming, I would probably pay the fee and suck up the loss of the money if I had to. If I was fairly confident DD would get an offer on a higher-level or better fit team, though, I would not pay the fee. From the coach's perspective, I'm guessing this must be an area where there's not an overabundance of qualified players?

Mar 6, 2018
Not sure where you live, but 45 mins is not far for a travel team. If you stick with travel, and go on to higher levels of play and age, you'll find that you'll be travelling 1-2 hours for tourneys (at a minimum) and that an hour in the car seems like it's right around the corner. Best to get come to terms with that now if you're planning to stay in travel for years to come.

Regarding telling the coach, say nothing until you commit to another team. From experience, as soon as you tell the coach your looking the relationship changes immediately. He can't count on your DD for the roster spot, so he begins to protect the team's interests. Once you commit to another team, tell him right away so he can make plans. If your reasons for changing are logical, he will understand. If he doesn't, then that's his problem and he'll get over it.

I think at least half our team drove 45 minutes to practice this year and a few of them further. Our longest drive was first year 10U, which was over an hour. It does suck though.

Yeah 45 min one way for practice isnt too bad. I meant that I dont have anything else closer that is a better fit. There might be a couple of new orgs a touch closer but it's an unknown since they are new. She's tried out for a few that are 1 hour and 1.5 hour drive for practice and got an invite but we decided that was a touch too far (3 hours on the road plus 2 hours of practice on a school night).

We do about 3 hours for weekend tournaments now so that isnt the issue. The issue is practice 2x a week for anything more that 45 miles out.

Jun 14, 2018
I have only asked for one private tryout in 3 years and that was just the other day. I told them I was sorry but DD could not make the original tryout due to a family vacation. The coach was more than happy to accommodate and asked if I would mind of other girls were there. By other girls I thought she was talking about girls my DD's age going for the same team.

When it comes to the big casting call it seems some are very organized and others are just a big cluster. I hate it when the coaches do not come and talk to you afterword or send you something on the overall performance. I know they have alot going on but it would be nice to know what your DD did wrong or what they need to work on.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I have only asked for one private tryout in 3 years and that was just the other day. I told them I was sorry but DD could not make the original tryout due to a family vacation. The coach was more than happy to accommodate and asked if I would mind of other girls were there. By other girls I thought she was talking about girls my DD's age going for the same team.

When it comes to the big casting call it seems some are very organized and others are just a big cluster. I hate it when the coaches do not come and talk to you afterword or send you something on the overall performance. I know they have alot going on but it would be nice to know what your DD did wrong or what they need to work on.

Or, AT THE VERY LEAST, make an announcement and say something like, "We'll be making calls until [whenever]. If you don't hear from us by [date], that means we've completed choosing our team." Nothing worse than just waiting endlessly for a call that's not coming and trying to decide whether to contact the coach yourself.

Jul 16, 2018
DD just finished her 4th yr of travel(14u). I am completely disgusted and jaded by the TB scene. I realize that there have been situations that I could have/should have handled better and I have learned SO many things along the way. However the nature of the beast just sets the stage for every player/family to do what is in their own best interest. It truly is hard to develop and maintain the meaning of TEAM in such a competitive/cut throat environment. People who you sat with/were laughing with only a week or 2 ago, start distancing themselves as it becomes evident that you are not returning.

Despite all of my research, I have steered my DD in the wrong direction again. I know her current situation is not a productive environment for her. The thought of sifting through the try outs and empty promises makes me ill. We are taking a step back and are going to sit this crazy, whirlwind out.

If/when she is ready in the fall/winter, I am confident that there will be a good team in need of a talented player! But for now, my DD and our family, needs a break from this crazy roller coaster. I’m sad because she is a natural athlete and great kid....but I think some time away will do us all a world of good.

For all of you that are in a good situation....know how lucky you are! And to those who are looking for the greener side of things....best of luck, may you find the right fit for your DD and family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know.. I've got my daughter set up for about 3-4 tryouts over the next week. Im sure she is going to get an offer but based on dealings in the past we are going to research more instead of simply saying yes.

With that said.. in my families situation waiting until the winter might not be a bad ideal.

Bax

Jun 28, 2018
PNW

This is so the coach will have an idea of how many roster spots will potentially need to be filled (if any), and which positions prior to holding tryouts. For example, if none of the pitchers provide a deposit, then the coach knows to look for new pitchers.

May 4, 2016
East Coast
Dang, I hate July. Used to be one of my favorite months, but that was before travel softball.

We've just finished our fourth season on our third team. Really, really, really don't want to switch to a new uniform.

30 more minutes till the next game on GC. Wife is there for the XYZ World Series and sends the most useless texts about what is happening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802