Tryout Season (aka Silly Season)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have been on both sides of the fence as well. I see it as a no/win situation all the way around. The organizations/coaches are doing their best in order to ensure that they have a solid roster for the coming season. The players/families are doing their best to find the best fit for the coming season. Unfortunately, the two goals are not always aligned. And participants on either side are not always honest with their intentions. I have witnessed organizations do things that I would never do. And I have seen players/families do things that I would never do. I am glad that my family no longer needs to deal with that process, and wish the rest of you the best of luck.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Also how do you break the news to a coach/team you like but really need a change.. and how should you transition this. I don't want to cut ties until we find a better fitting team (if there is one).

I always believe that honesty is the best policy. She should just tell the coach that she wants to take a look at some other teams but she still wants to tryout again for her current team as well. I have known some coaches who got upset about that but I never understood why. Nobody owns a player. Oftentimes players go to other tryouts and realize the grass is not greener in other organizations. Sometimes they think it is and find out too late that the other organization is not for them. A lot easier to go back to a previous team if you were honest with them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2018
Yes- we def plan to be honest but if we let the cat out know we'll likely be asked to step down. She doesn't have to try out for our team again, fyi. Thats the hard part there seems to be the expectation everyone is staying put. Oh well, we'll just have to see how it goes and yes honesty is always the best policy.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Gah, I am the OP and I'm just reiterating how much I hate this process. DD has offer in hand from one team, but felt that the team was a little too casual and not as high-level as she's looking for. The vibe was definitely low-key and she really wants high-level A ball this year. Coach was nice and liked her a lot. He is being very nice and not pushing us, but emailed again today checking in. There are at least two more weekends of tryouts that she would like to attend some of. Really, tryouts stretch until 8/12 for most of the big orgs. We can't ask this guy to wait that long, I realize, but letting one offer go without another in hand feels so scary. I hate this. DD is entering 16U, so it's a really big year for her (freshman year) and if she wants to hold out for a high-level team, this is the year.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gah, I am the OP and I'm just reiterating how much I hate this process. DD has offer in hand from one team, but felt that the team was a little too casual and not as high-level as she's looking for. The vibe was definitely low-key and she really wants high-level A ball this year. Coach was nice and liked her a lot. He is being very nice and not pushing us, but emailed again today checking in. There are at least two more weekends of tryouts that she would like to attend some of. Really, tryouts stretch until 8/12 for most of the big orgs. We can't ask this guy to wait that long, I realize, but letting one offer go without another in hand feels so scary. I hate this. DD is entering 16U, so it's a really big year for her (freshman year) and if she wants to hold out for a high-level team, this is the year.

I definitely understand your feelings on this. And taking the extra time is probably the best thing for you to do as a family. But that time was always difficult for me as a coach. It wasn't because I was trying to push 'you' to make a decision. But because I may have had 5 other girls waiting on hold until you made that decision. I always tried to be as patient as possible with players trying to make their choice. I get it.... I really do. But I also felt bad for the players that were waiting for that phone call and wondering why I wasn't calling them. Please don't take my post the wrong way. I truly understand why the decision is so difficult for you. I also completely understand why you "hate this process". All I can tell you is that there are a lot of people out there that have those same feelings.

All this said, I think you are handling the process correctly. Ultimately you need to do what is best for your daughter, and it sounds like you have a solid plan. But like you, I truly wish there was a better way for all this to happen.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I definitely understand your feelings on this. And taking the extra time is probably the best thing for you to do as a family. But that time was always difficult for me as a coach. It wasn't because I was trying to push 'you' to make a decision. But because I may have had 5 other girls waiting on hold until you made that decision. I always tried to be as patient as possible with players trying to make their choice. I get it.... I really do. But I also felt bad for the players that were waiting for that phone call and wondering why I wasn't calling them. Please don't take my post the wrong way. I truly understand why the decision is so difficult for you. I also completely understand why you "hate this process". All I can tell you is that there are a lot of people out there that have those same feelings.

All this said, I think you are handling the process correctly. Ultimately you need to do what is best for your daughter, and it sounds like you have a solid plan. But like you, I truly wish there was a better way for all this to happen.

I think the most honest thing we can do is a) ask his vision for where DD fits in to the team (trying to get some idea of playing time, will she play a secondary position when not catching, etc...) and b) tell him that she does have some other tryouts lined up. All we can hope for is that he understands. His org is not having big org tryouts right away either, so hopefully he will understand. Most of the girls on this team are significantly older (sophomores or juniors), so her age is also a bit of a concern for us as her parents. I don't like to be deceitful, and we are not the type to accept an offer and then renege later if something better comes along. People do that all the time, I'm aware, but it doesn't sit right with me.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Never been a fan of the cattle-call tryout, haven't done one in three years, and I'm pretty sure we'll never do one again.

DD will likely stick with her current team, and even if she didn't, we'd go to open workouts and guest play until we found the right fit.

All this jumping around is pretty silly, and for most, accomplishes nothing.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Never been a fan of the cattle-call tryout, haven't done one in three years, and I'm pretty sure we'll never do one again.

DD will likely stick with her current team, and even if she didn't, we'd go to open workouts and guest play until we found the right fit.

All this jumping around is pretty silly, and for most, accomplishes nothing.

We're not jumping by choice this year. DD has to move up to 16U (she's a 2003 birthdate) and her current team's coach has a daughter who is a year younger and will still play in 14U next year. We have to find a new home.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
this aug ends our first year in travel and we need something closer but are limited. So we have to juggle with finding the right coaching, factor in the drive, and if we want to play with a weak team to get more pitching in, or a strong team and get less innings in. Oh and the cost. My main thing is coaching and the drive but all play a part. We are 45 min to closest team.

Also how do you break the news to a coach/team you like but really need a change.. and how should you transition this. I don't want to cut ties until we find a better fitting team (if there is one).

Not sure where you live, but 45 mins is not far for a travel team. If you stick with travel, and go on to higher levels of play and age, you'll find that you'll be travelling 1-2 hours for tourneys (at a minimum) and that an hour in the car seems like it's right around the corner. Best to get come to terms with that now if you're planning to stay in travel for years to come.

Regarding telling the coach, say nothing until you commit to another team. From experience, as soon as you tell the coach your looking the relationship changes immediately. He can't count on your DD for the roster spot, so he begins to protect the team's interests. Once you commit to another team, tell him right away so he can make plans. If your reasons for changing are logical, he will understand. If he doesn't, then that's his problem and he'll get over it.

Jun 12, 2015
I think at least half our team drove 45 minutes to practice this year and a few of them further. Our longest drive was first year 10U, which was over an hour. It does suck though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812