Tryout Season (aka Silly Season)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2017
I normally would make a list of 6-7 teams. Then due to conflicts/circumstances, the list would get smaller. One weekend we went to 3 different tryouts. DD received on the spot offers from all. It was appreciated and flattering, but we felt hard pressed to make a decision ASAP. We sat down, weighed all the pros/cons and made a choice with 48 hours. Unfortunately, in the end, we chose wrong.

Go to a few so that your DD can experience several situations, but not too many that makes a decision that much harder. Good luck!
what is the number most generally do if definitely looking for new team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2018
This year our current organization is holding tryouts next week and we still have three tournaments (including Nationals) left. So after tryouts next week our coach will know who is returning and who is not. I have a feeling a few are not, because he is still sending out texts to the team to make sure the girls register for tryouts. Also a lot of local teams are starting tryouts this week and a lot also next week. That means our current team will know who is and who isn’t returning when we still have a tournament left plus Nationals. This could get weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
OP here. Well, we thought we had found our "forever" home, but... Long story for another post.

But I will say that as the girls get older, this seems easier. This year, we've sent out lots of game video clips and brief skills videos and we already have three offers in hand and going tomorrow crossing fingers for the one we want from a private tryout. No more organizational cattle calls. On the other hand, having to be circumspect about trying out and word not getting back to current HC before our last out of town tournament is tricky.

ETA: Got the offer! Now have to keep quiet for a week until current team's season is over. Awkward.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
thankfully our silly season is over with only one tryout attended! she had offer on the spot (after he spoke to parents as a group to say he would get back to everyone in a couple of weeks), team is part of organization she was with but on another team in 2017-2018 season, and she guest played with them for one tournament, pitcher from that previous team is also moving to this team. she really wanted this team once she learned pitcher was coming over. had one other offer from dad on her current team who is starting new 2007 team (DD is 2007, most of team she just finished with is 2006 and moving up). think she still has her t shirts and jerseys from the org, and I still have my ballcap, so off to running start!

aaaaahhhh, stress relieved.

Oct 4, 2018
OP here. Well, we thought we had found our "forever" home, but... Long story for another post.

But I will say that as the girls get older, this seems easier. This year, we've sent out lots of game video clips and brief skills videos and we already have three offers in hand and going tomorrow crossing fingers for the one we want from a private tryout. No more organizational cattle calls. On the other hand, having to be circumspect about trying out and word not getting back to current HC before our last out of town tournament is tricky.

ETA: Got the offer! Now have to keep quiet for a week until current team's season is over. Awkward.

Congrats.

I'm already seeing this at 10U. My DD is being asked to come to a private try out for a top org in our region. She and I are both a bit giddy. Not sure how it will play out but it's fun to watch my DD get even more excited about the sport.

Feb 26, 2018
Our current org, big name "A" org in the state, has royally f'd it all up this year. They added a bunch of '06 and '05 teams and coaches from other orgs, is supposedly helping to hand pick teams, and taking some control from the coaches. Needless to say a lot of coaches since found out these details and teams are now pulling out and it's causing mayhem around my area right in the middle of the 2 weeks of tryouts. My DD has been invited to a couple private tryouts, so hopefully we can stay out of the fray completely. It's been a stressful week...

Jun 12, 2015
We're making DD take a couple of weeks off to fully recover from a minor hip issue. It stinks to see her friends all trying out and she can't :( One more week and we'll let her do her thing. Fortunately the two we're most interested in at least have org tryouts starting after her enforced rest period is over. I don't like having to wait for organizational ones though.

Jul 14, 2018
We're making DD take a couple of weeks off to fully recover from a minor hip issue. It stinks to see her friends all trying out and she can't :( One more week and we'll let her do her thing. Fortunately the two we're most interested in at least have org tryouts starting after her enforced rest period is over. I don't like having to wait for organizational ones though.
DD has a friend dealing with an injury right now also. She's using it as a reason to request private tryouts in a few weeks. The danger is that roster spots will fill up, but it's a good reason to avoid the cattle calls.

Oct 4, 2018

Bad timing, but of course y'all are doing the right thing. Best of luck to your DD.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28