Tryout Season (aka Silly Season)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I won't make that cutoff, I'd have to play the 50U
Cool me too!! I'll race you around the bases on our motorized carts!!
myQAsbl.gif

May 6, 2015
how many is too many. DD is a 2007 on a 2006 mostly team, so not certain we want to go to 14u yet. we have identified about 9 potential teams, but no way she can do all those tryouts. what is the number most generally do if definitely looking for new team?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
how many is too many. DD is a 2007 on a 2006 mostly team, so not certain we want to go to 14u yet. we have identified about 9 potential teams, but no way she can do all those tryouts. what is the number most generally do if definitely looking for new team?

If your DD is good enough and known - and you know the teams, you shouldn't need to go to tryouts at all. Talk to the coaches, get a read on their plans for next season, whether they want your kid or not, and take a spot if offered. Work from the most desired team to the least desired team.

Also once it becomes known a good player is available do not be surprised to get some calls out of the blue - the softball ball community is small and gossipy which is also why you should do things fairly openly - because people WILL find out.

As a coach I know every talented girl in our age group on every team within local area - and in a lot of cases within our state. I pretty much know which ones we would and wouldn't take if they wanted to come to our team. Tryouts - if we even have them which we haven't for the last 6 seasons - are for the chance that someone new has moved into the area that we are unaware of.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
If your DD is good enough and known - and you know the teams, you shouldn't need to go to tryouts at all. Talk to the coaches, get a read on their plans for next season, whether they want your kid or not, and take a spot if offered. Work from the most desired team to the least desired team.

Also once it becomes known a good player is available do not be surprised to get some calls out of the blue - the softball ball community is small and gossipy which is also why you should do things fairly openly - because people WILL find out.

As a coach I know every talented girl in our age group on every team within local area - and in a lot of cases within our state. I pretty much know which ones we would and wouldn't take if they wanted to come to our team. Tryouts - if we even have them which we haven't for the last 6 seasons - are for the chance that someone new has moved into the area that we are unaware of.
in our area we have not seen this to be the case, or the only ones who show interest are too far away geographically. last tryouts she did, got lots of compliments about how fundamentally sound she was, but in each case, she was trying out for team one year older, and coaches opted for girl same year as rest of team (seems there is shortage of teams for her birth year in our area).

also she is not as flashy as some, just consistent and solid. example, other Cs throw harder to 2B, but she releases quicker, and is generally always within 18 inches of the corner of the bag. but everyone oohs and aahs at ball velocity, even if the C has to take extreme windup and shuffle feet to do it.

we'll see how it works out, but I am getting sick of this process. need to figure out better myself how to detect the BS artists, burned twice now, it is getting old.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
in our area we have not seen this to be the case, or the only ones who show interest are too far away geographically. last tryouts she did, got lots of compliments about how fundamentally sound she was, but in each case, she was trying out for team one year older, and coaches opted for girl same year as rest of team (seems there is shortage of teams for her birth year in our area).

also she is not as flashy as some, just consistent and solid. example, other Cs throw harder to 2B, but she releases quicker, and is generally always within 18 inches of the corner of the bag. but everyone oohs and aahs at ball velocity, even if the C has to take extreme windup and shuffle feet to do it.

we'll see how it works out, but I am getting sick of this process. need to figure out better myself how to detect the BS artists, burned twice now, it is getting old.

It sounds like you are planning to keep your DD playing for a relatively local team. If that is the case, do you ever play against some of the other teams you are considering? Or play in the same tournaments? I would suggest standing behind the parents of that team during a game. Pay close attention to the players, the coaches, and the parents. You can learn a lot by being an observer. This alone can help narrow down your search.

Also, if your DD has an opportunity to guest play for any of those teams, do it. She/you can learn very quickly if it could be a good fit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse