Trying to Understand Coach's Motivation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2020
I have been scratching my head over this one and have to ask what you think the coach's motivation is. Here is the scenario:

Kid hits a line drive, outfielder dives for it and misses it and the ball goes to the fence. Batter ends up with an inside the park HR. Batter runs home and other players gather at the plate to congratulate the batter. As batter heads to the dugout, 3rd base coach starts screaming at the batter to touch the plate. Chaos ensues as the batter tries to go back to the plate and touch it (which they do successfully). After a plate conference, umpire calls the batter out.

I check out the Gamechanger video after the game to see if the batter did indeed miss the plate and it is inconclusive (was very close if they did indeed miss it). Video shows the umpire actually had is back turned when the batter physically crossed the plate. So I am left scratching my head why the coach did what he did. Why not just address it after the inning is over in the dugout? Was he intentionally calling the kid out for some reason?

Jun 8, 2016
I have been scratching my head over this one and have to ask what you think the coach's motivation is. Here is the scenario:

Kid hits a line drive, outfielder dives for it and misses it and the ball goes to the fence. Batter ends up with an inside the park HR. Batter runs home and other players gather at the plate to congratulate the batter. As batter heads to the dugout, 3rd base coach starts screaming at the batter to touch the plate. Chaos ensues as the batter tries to go back to the plate and touch it (which they do successfully). After a plate conference, umpire calls the batter out.

I check out the Gamechanger video after the game to see if the batter did indeed miss the plate and it is inconclusive (was very close if they did indeed miss it). Video shows the umpire actually had is back turned when the batter physically crossed the plate. So I am left scratching my head why the coach did what he did. Why not just address it after the inning is over in the dugout? Was he intentionally calling the kid out for some reason?
Because he was worried the other team saw the same thing he (thought) he saw?

Tell your kid congratulations on the nice hit..

May 17, 2012
A random guess but maybe it was his kid. I have seen base coaches say the weirdest things to their kids on the basepaths that they wouldn't say to other players.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Clearly he thought he saw the player miss the plate, and he wasn't looking at the umpire to see if he was doing his job (he wasn't, it appears). In that moment, the coach only knows that he saw her miss the plate, and if he did, maybe someone else did, too.

I'm trying to figure out why she was called out.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

I check out the Gamechanger video after the game to see if the batter did indeed miss the plate and it is inconclusive (was very close if they did indeed miss it). Video shows the umpire actually had is back turned when the batter physically crossed the plate.
➡️What age bracket?
So I am left scratching my head why the coach did what he did.
He's the coach, some coaches are in every play every moment🤷‍♀️

Why not just address it after the inning is over in the dugout?
Talk with entire team about importance of making sure touch the bags and the plate
Was he intentionally calling the kid out for some reason?
Yes he was intentionally calling out what he thought the kids foot did or not.

It's up to the Umpire to decide whether the player is out. Maybe by the time he decided to call her out she was far enough away from the plate, Umpire decided from the coach's evidence to call her out.
Shhhh 🤫Don't tell anybody umpires can be influenced...

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It's up to the Umpire to decide whether the player is out. Maybe by the time he decided to call her out she was far enough away from the plate, Umpire decided from the coach's evidence to call her out.
Shhhh 🤫Don't tell anybody umpires can be influenced...

And if this is what happened, the umpire was just making things up. I don't know of any rule book where "far enough away from the plate" means a player is automatically out for missing home plate. The player is assumed to have touched the base unless there's an appeal from the defense. She hadn't yet returned to the dugout either, so she still has time to return to touch the plate.

There is a difference between accidentally missing the plate and abandoning your duties as a runner and leaving the field.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA

"batter tries to go back to the plate and touch it (which THEY do successfully)"
Who is "THEY" ? Did the batter/baserunner have assistance touching the plate ?

"After a plate conference, umpire calls the batter out."
After a conference with who ? The base umpire ? If so, it went like this: PU- I missed it, what do you have ? BU- She missed the plate

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
And if this is what happened, the umpire was just making things up. I don't know of any rule book where "far enough away from the plate" means a player is automatically out for missing home plate. The player is assumed to have touched the base unless there's an appeal from the defense. She hadn't yet returned to the dugout either, so she still has time to return to touch the plate.

There is a difference between accidentally missing the plate and abandoning your duties as a runner and leaving the field.
Hmmm🤔 stepping into the dugout... as the coach was yelling out what he was unofficially appealing, officially got his Runner called out 🤷‍♀️ umpires do some interesting things.

However it occurred hopefully the coach learned something from their own actions!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478