Trying to Move to Comp and Not Sure We Should

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2020
I've seen decent teams fold because the HC couldn't get enough good help. A new team will likely be the most open to bringing a new face onboard, but even established teams with a HC who knows his limits will see the value. DD's team has someone like you and she's sort of the team head doctor. Frankly, you can get away with saying things to adolescent girls that I couldn't even get near.
Even at Rec I can't get any help, which makes my need/want to teach more skills infinitely more difficult. I can't work with pitchers unless I do extra practices (which I do and then I only ask a couple of kids who have potential to come because I'm the only pitching coach and I can only do so much with what I have), and even running a quality practice is tough because there's only so much of me to go around. I do have one mom who helps, but she's pretty much just a body -- can't really instruct (when I found out she was telling everyone to swing up on the ball I blew a gasket) and her base coaching skills are severely lacking. But I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for the reply. I know I can say things to girls that most can't (plus I throw in that NY accent and it lets me get away with a lot! :D)

Jul 15, 2020
I have never heard a kid say that she wants to be on a team that listens to coaches. Good for her!
She will struggle in first year travel, most girls do. By her second year she will catch up or pass the others.
Good Luck.
I think that's the benefit of the coach being her mother and she knows she's gonna listen (plus, she knows I know what I'm talking about, so it is to her benefit to listen and I know it does frustrate her when she sees her teammates looking at me with blank stares and not doing what I say over and over and over).
I do expect the first year to be a big fat glass of learning experience, and I think it's what she really needs. I am really looking forward to seeing what she can do when she's in same-minded company. I just need to find the company.

Jul 15, 2020
I have a buddy from College who lives in Longmont. Prospect Newtown? Every summer when we traveled to CO for Boulder IDT we stayed with him and his family for the week. We loved that neighborhood. Colorado Stars and Colorado Styxx have good programs.
Prospect is a great neighborhood (come back soon, there's a wonderful pizza/bakery place that opened from Denver in the last year. I hope they survive the current environment).

Thanks for the recos. I've heard of Stars and I'll look into Styxx.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Prospect is a great neighborhood (come back soon, there's a wonderful pizza/bakery place that opened from Denver in the last year. I hope they survive the current environment).

Thanks for the recos. I've heard of Stars and I'll look into Styxx.
We went to that bakery last summer. We always ate at Two Dog Diner(closed) and the restaurant next door. I think it was a little fancier with an outdoor pizza oven, which might be closed as well. I really missed going to CO this summer.

Jul 15, 2020
We went to that bakery last summer. We always ate at Two Dog Diner(closed) and the restaurant next door. I think it was a little fancier with an outdoor pizza oven, which might be closed as well. I really missed going to CO this summer.
Sadly, places don't do great in Prospect. I think being hidden in the "city within a city" hinders their visibility so nobody knows they're there. The outdoor pizza oven place is closed, but that space is always turning over -- nothing every survives. Luckily the bagel place is hanging in there (from a NY bagel snob).

May 6, 2015
I'm sure there's some tab or glossary here that contains the answer, but will someone tell me what "comp" is? Is that like travel ball with compensation?
think it is short hand for "competitive", ie where winning is more of a focus than it is in rec, ie travel ball (although truthfully, TB until say 16u should be player development 1-3 priority wise, winning 4th priority)

May 21, 2015
South
You and your daughter are ready for "comp"/ tournament ball. Just do your homework and find the right team. Sliding can be learned very quickly on a slip and slide and it's a lot of fun for the girls. No water, use a big piece of cardboard.

Jul 15, 2020
You and your daughter are ready for "comp"/ tournament ball. Just do your homework and find the right team. Sliding can be learned very quickly on a slip and slide and it's a lot of fun for the girls. No water, use a big piece of cardboard.
Thanks. I'm very late to the game so the homework is a little tough (meaning i can't watch teams as our season is over), but I'm learning a lot from this board and just getting out there and seeing what the teams are. I do need to give her a crash course in a bunch of things, but we're going to get right on it. Luckily she's a quick study and she's the one that wants to learn. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802