Trying to choose between 2 catchers mitts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2020
Hello everyone. First post here but have been reading the board for years.
I am currently looking at a new catchers for my DD. She plays class A u12 and sometimes bumps up to play B level u14. She is currently using a Liberty Advanced that has about 4 years on it and is starting to break down. She wants to try a different brand this time and I have been looking at the All Star Vela pro 33.5 I believe model 3000 with the h web single hinge. I thought this was going to be it. Then while reading the board the glove man himself "annsdad" posted a great deal on the Marucci Magnola series. Please help me out with my decision and any positives and negatives of each glove.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’m a big fan of my All-Star CMW3000 and the service and longevity it’s given me but it I were buy one today I’d buy the Marucci just to try, but I can’t see how you’d go wrong with either, both great choices!

Nov 15, 2020
Thank you. My only concern with the Marucci is I have not been able to find one to handle. Not sure how the inside padding is in it. I know the leather is top notch. I just dont want it to have zero padding like Mizunos. I am at a 50/50 split of which way to go.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Skip the All Star Vela Pro - if you go All Star get the AF-Elite (which I believe is what they now call the CMW3000 ?). It's been a great mitt as was the Rawlings Liberty Advanced before it and the Vinci Limited (Mesh) before that. Just had the Vinci relaced and it's still a great glove just too small for DD now (need to find a new home for it). The Liberty Advanced is still very serviceable (needs a lace repair). The All Star is broken in and working great (and got it at a great price). We also just picked up a Marucci Magnolia (unbelievable price) and are in the process of breaking it in (so far so good) so DD will have two mitts at her disposal that she trusts completely.

Edited to add for FusionRay....both the All Star & the Marucci have excellent padding and solid protection. Find the best deal between the two and run with it!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Skip the All Star Vela Pro - if you go All Star get the AF-Elite (which I believe is what they now call the CMW3000 ?). It's been a great mitt as was the Rawlings Liberty Advanced before it and the Vinci Limited (Mesh) before that. Just had the Vinci relaced and it's still a great glove just too small for DD now (need to find a new home for it). The Liberty Advanced is still very serviceable (needs a lace repair). The All Star is broken in and working great (and got it at a great price). We also just picked up a Marucci Magnolia (unbelievable price) and are in the process of breaking it in (so far so good) so DD will have two mitts at her disposal that she trusts completely.

Edited to add for FusionRay....both the All Star & the Marucci have excellent padding and solid protection. Find the best deal between the two and run with it!
Listen to tonk here, search out the best deal between the AF-Elite and the Magnolia and have fun breaking one of them in! Like I said, no way you can go wrong either way!

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Thank you. My only concern with the Marucci is I have not been able to find one to handle. Not sure how the inside padding is in it. I know the leather is top notch. I just dont want it to have zero padding like Mizunos. I am at a 50/50 split of which way to go.

The padding is excellent! Just got one and caught my 16u pitchers this weekend with zero issues. Very happy with this mitt. DD isn’t a fan as the index finger opening isn’t really an opening. It’s designed to have that finger out. She doesn’t like that with any glove so it was a no from her. And it’s still very stiff. Probably hasn’t caught 200 balls yet. I also have not used anything on the leather yet. Not sure that I will but if I do It will just be some Obenauf’s leather protector.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
I've seen a number of 12u catchers with All Star mitts struggle with balls popping out. My theory is the All Star has a shallow pocket, and is better suited for more advanced/stronger players.

The padding on the Marucci is excellent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee