Trying out for a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

If you were really happy with your current coach and team you would not be having this conversation. If you are happy with your current coach and team but just interested in what’s going on with other teams. Definitely go to tryouts for other teams. my DD will go to other tryouts just for fun and meet other girls. My experience has been to let her go have fun as I quietly sit in the stands and listen to the other parents. The conversations in the stands will tell you if you want to join the team. Afterwards talk to your DD and let that coach know if you are interested or not. So they don’t waste any time considering you.
if you’re current coach tells you not to do that it’s time to find another team anyway because he values his journey more than your DD. Good luck

Apr 11, 2016
If you were really happy with your current coach and team you would not be having this conversation. If you are happy with your current coach and team but just interested in what’s going on with other teams. Definitely go to tryouts for other teams. my DD will go to other tryouts just for fun and meet other girls. My experience has been to let her go have fun as I quietly sit in the stands and listen to the other parents. The conversations in the stands will tell you if you want to join the team. Afterwards talk to your DD and let that coach know if you are interested or not. So they don’t waste any time considering you.
if you’re current coach tells you not to do that it’s time to find another team anyway because he values his journey more than your DD. Good luck
Agree with that. The conversation plus watching the team players who are helping out will let you know if this is a team that fits or not. I always stay to watch the tryout to see how the coaches talk to the girls, how well their existing girls play, and what the other parents say.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Agree with that. The conversation plus watching the team players who are helping out will let you know if this is a team that fits or not. I always stay to watch the tryout to see how the coaches talk to the girls, how well their existing girls play, and what the other parents say.
This is a no brainer. I fact I would pre scout a tryout before even wasting my DD time. Also you should have a good idea if your DD will make the team. Ask lots of questions. How many parents are on the coaching staff. Where do you see my DD in the line up and playing on this team. And do not be pressured into 24 hour decisions. If your DD is good just say " Sorry coach but we have other tryouts scheduled and will not be able to do that." If the coach is a hot head or seem unapproachable move along.

Mar 28, 2020
And don’t just go for a brand name esp at 12U. Playing time is what matters most. College is a long way off.

One step at a time.

Best of luck!

I agree. from my older kids I can tell you about super talented 12U girls that were no where to be found by 16U. College is a long way off. Have fun....Learn.....and play allot

Travel teams are allot of fun......the kids remember the family times and friends more than the games.....

Good Luck to your DD next week!!!

Aug 27, 2020
Hello, Thank you for all the comments, so helpful. A lot of comments about coaches kids on the team......the coach for the new team is a non-parent, she is a former college player as well as her assistants which is a huge plus for me. All female, non-parent coaching staff. Head Coach seems great, we've exchanged text messages and she seems on the same page and same goals as my DD.

Jul 2, 2013
The best advice I can give is be upfront with the current coaching staff and let them know that she is going to tryouts to see where she fits in. She may end up wanting to stay so you can't burn that bridge.

Hello, Thank you for all the comments, so helpful. A lot of comments about coaches kids on the team......the coach for the new team is a non-parent, she is a former college player as well as her assistants which is a huge plus for me. All female, non-parent coaching staff. Head Coach seems great, we've exchanged text messages and she seems on the same page and same goals as my DD.

Make sure you still vet the coaches. College player doesn't always mean good coach. I have seen way too many parents assume that it does and end up looking again the next year. Some athletes can't translate how they performed in a way that will help your DD perform. I'm not saying avoid the situation, just make sure you don't let that overrule other factors.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
The best advice I can give is be upfront with the current coaching staff and let them know that she is going to tryouts to see where she fits in. She may end up wanting to stay so you can't burn that bridge.

Make sure you still vet the coaches. College player doesn't always mean good coach. I have seen way too many parents assume that it does and end up looking again the next year. Some athletes can't translate how they performed in a way that will help your DD perform. I'm not saying avoid the situation, just make sure you don't let that overrule other factors.
Well said we approach it this way: A good coach is a good coach. Regardless of M/F, College experience etc.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Literally none of those things by themselves make them a good coach - although sometimes it is good for recruiting for those who fall for the whole 'non parent coach' or 'ex-college player' as if it actually means anything without actual coaching talent and experience.

Worse than actual Daddy Ball is young, ex-college players with no coaching experience being bullied by parents (who view them as 'kids' because they are much younger than they are) or the same coaches being beholden to some ex-Daddy Ball coach or parent group running the team in the background. Yes I am cynical but I see it all the time. :)

Vet your coaches. Vet the team. Vet the other parents. Ask lots of questions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802