Triple play wins state championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sometimes you're the dog, and sometimes you're the hydrant.

And you think you had some bad luck at last week's tourney....

Runners at 1B and 2B. Batter hits a line drive up the middle. Ball glances off pitcher, ball goes right to SS. SS catches it, steps on the bag and tosses it to 1B for the triple play.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Heck of a play.....and one that presents a great rules question.

If R1 contacts the ball and prevents the catch, what would the proper ruling be? Based on the video we have, would the double play be assumed? Is there any scenario under which a triple play could be assumed following an interference call?

May 6, 2015
But HS ball is completely inconsequential ;)

seriously, look at the reaction, that clearly meant A WHOLE HECKUVA LOT to those girls.

May 20, 2016
Wonder what the score was when that happened? If they were down by 1 that is a soul crushing loss.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
True story about my DD...

I coached the summer team for the HS. I tried to follow my own advice and keep my mouth, but sometimes....

Val's HS team. was playing a double header against one of the top HS teams in Illinois (Downers Grove South).

Val's HS had never beat the team in softball before....ever. Val's team was up 1-0 in the 6th. I'm in my usual spot somewhere down the left field line.

The other team comes up. One out, runner at 1B. Their clean up hitter gets up. She is about 6'3", weighs 260 and has a bat the size of a telephone pole. Val had struck her out twice before, and the batter was out for blood.

Val has one pitch over too much of the plate, and the batter hits a screaming line drive back at Val's head. She gets her mitt in front of her face "in the knick of time". The ball hits the mitt and Val goes down. The ball becomes this gentle little pop up that the 3B snags.

The runner is now standing on 2B. 1B and 3B start walking to the mound to see if Val is still breathing. Val's HS coach is standing in the dugout in stunned silence.

I figure that Val is either dead or not dead. If she is dead, its too late to do anything. If she is alive, another 60 seconds doesn't matter. (Val was not dead, by the by.)

So, I start yelling at 1B to go back to 1st and tell the 3B to throw the ball over to her. 1B looked at me like I was crazy, and then the light bulb comes on in her head. She runs back to 1B. They double the runner. Inning over.

The 3B coach for DG South goes over to the dugout shaking his head and says, "Girls, we ain't winning this one today. Let's concentrate on winning the second game." (They did win the second game.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28