Travesty of the game call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A coach that doesn't manage the clock to their advantage (when it matters) is doing a disservice to their team. This is what happens when you introduce a clock to the game. Like it, or not.

Jun 20, 2015
i had a slightly different 'run-in' with time limit game recently. 75min, finish the inning. we were visitors. we scored 7 in first, 1-2-3 your out, scoring 0, , 7 in 2nd , 4-5-6-7-8 your out they scored 1. we scored 9 in the 3rd. opponents come back up with and now time has expired, send 4 to the plate, no score. We win 23-1. and the peanut gallery is mad that their 13, 14, & 15 batter's did not get a chance to hit. And how dare we bat so long to use all the time up.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
i had a slightly different 'run-in' with time limit game recently. 75min, finish the inning. we were visitors. we scored 7 in first, 1-2-3 your out, scoring 0, , 7 in 2nd , 4-5-6-7-8 your out they scored 1. we scored 9 in the 3rd. opponents come back up with and now time has expired, send 4 to the plate, no score. We win 23-1. and the peanut gallery is mad that their 13, 14, & 15 batter's did not get a chance to hit. And how dare we bat so long to use all the time up.

So you were up 14-1 after 2 and decided to score another 9 runs for what reason exactly?

May 6, 2015
So you were up 14-1 after 2 and decided to score another 9 runs for what reason exactly?
I am very much against running up the score, but it sounds like this was complete mismatch, and with the way fastpitch is, very hard to tell your batters to try and get out at plate (could possibly reinforce bad habits). you do not want to take away an attack mentality you have worked hard to instill in your team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

That's some misdirected frustration, right there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

If they're stealing bases, etc. to try to score as many as possible, that's one thing. If the opposing team is having trouble making outs on balls in play, that's a different story. I might have a runner step off to end a brutal inning, but I wouldn't ask a batter to not hit the ball.

Also, when tournaments include tie-breakers like run differential, or runs scored, sometimes those big games can be the difference-maker.

Jan 31, 2011
I've been on both sides of it... stepping off base in that situation is a good move.

May 6, 2015
Occasionally, we have come across tournament that require teams to bat their entire roster in pool games

if a team is entering tournaments like that, should not have 15 on the roster, more like 11 or 12

no one is served with a roster that large, unless you are expecting on a regular baiss to be missing a few girls (ie oldeer teams with SATs, prom, etc. to worry about), or have a number of P only players (who should not be batting when they are not pitching, and maybe not even then).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478