travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
No, its not too late to start. My daughter was 14 before she ever picked up a softball. She knew nothing about softball.....at all.
this helps a lot! i’ve always wished i could say i played travel and was good at it. i’ve only done city league my whole life but playing travel and hs would be the best for me right now but idk if my mom will remember or care. she really only focuses on what my sister wants to do but thank you!!

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
No, its not too late to start. My daughter was 14 before she ever picked up a softball. She knew nothing about softball.....at all.

8 yrs later.....she was playing her Sr. year in college.

Good luck! Seek out best instruction you can get. Theres no secrets....its repetition, repetition, repetition, of fundamentals. Travel ball playing 125 games per yr, and about as many practices .....does that to you.
hi again! did your daughter do any other sports because i feel like i’m not athletic at all. all i have done was dance and softball. I’ve missed soo many chances to do volleyball, travel volleyball, and travel softball but i never took them and it makes me really regret and want to go back to when i had those chances. I just wanna be athletic. also my cousin does travel basketball, my sister did travel softball and does travel volleyball. and i feel left out in a way and regretting everything

Jun 16, 2010
My daughter was very athletic.
Thats what helped her catch on quickly. She also played baseball with boys until that point......and was a pitcher. She could throw....baseball...football....she had a fantastic arm .....not just for a girl.....for a boy or girl.

But softball is also about technique. Doing things the proper way, for speed . This will beat out raw athleticism when muscle memory is developed thru repetition. You dont have to be a great athlete....to be a great athlete in 1 thing. Hand-eye coordination for hitting....is the thing that cant be really taught.....only developed.

Now, did I have anything to do with my daughter having a great arm? I dont know. When she was ~2yo....we would throw and catch a small stuffed ball between us from opposing sofas 10 ft apart....for 30 min at a time...she loved throwing and catching it.....she learned to throw at very young age ..might have affected something developmentally.....or not. But it wasnt genetics.....her arm was better as a teen than mine ever was. Her mom not athletic.....at all either.

I know of several girls that never played softball until high school....got good coaching, and got to play softball in college. They were good athletes in other sports.

One played high school basketball.....was talked into softball by coach looking for big girls....got a softball scholarship to nearby regional D1 university....
(Never played travel ball). In college, she walked on to the basketball team....got scholarship money, and quit playing softball....went just basketball.

Our catcher for my daughters team in college came to school to play basketball. Walked onto softball team, got scholarship...and was all conference catcher senior year. She had played travel ball before college, but wasnt recruited in softball, just basketball.

Last edited:

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
My daughter was very athletic.
Thats what helped her catch on quickly. She also played baseball with boys until that point......and was a pitcher. She could throw....baseball...football....she had a fantastic arm .....not just for a girl.....for a boy or girl.

But softball is also about technique. Doing things the proper way, for speed . This will beat out raw athleticism when muscle memory is developed thru repetition. You dont have to be a great athlete....to be a great athlete in 1 thing. Hand-eye coordination for hitting....is the thing that cant be really taught.....only developed.

Now, did I have anything to do with my daughter having a great arm? I dont know. When she was ~2yo....we would throw and catch a small stuffed ball between us from opposing sofas 10 ft apart....for 30 min at a time...she loved throwing and catching it.....she learned to throw at very young age ..might have affected something developmentally.....or not. But it wasnt genetics.....her arm was better as a teen than mine ever was. Her mom not athletic.....at all either.

I know of several girls that never played softball until high school....got good coaching, and got to play softball in college. They were good athletes in other sports.

One played high school basketball.....was talked into softball by coach looking for big girls....got a softball scholarship to nearby regional D1 university....
(Never played travel ball). In college, she walked on to the basketball team....got scholarship money, and quit playing softball....went just basketball.

Our catcher for my daughters team in college came to school to play basketball. Walked onto softball team, got scholarship...and was all conference catcher senior year. She had played travel ball before college, but wasnt recruited in softball, just basketball.
okay, thank you!! my dream is to play in college. maybe even get a scholarship?! i really want to start dirt bike racing but i don’t have enough money to buy one yet but i would be sooo happy if i did. thank you again!!

Jul 31, 2015
hi again! did your daughter do any other sports because i feel like i’m not athletic at all. all i have done was dance and softball. I’ve missed soo many chances to do volleyball, travel volleyball, and travel softball but i never took them and it makes me really regret and want to go back to when i had those chances. I just wanna be athletic. also my cousin does travel basketball, my sister did travel softball and does travel volleyball. and i feel left out in a way and regretting everything

Well, if your cousin does travel basketball and your sister did travel softball and does travel volleyball, then I would say there’s no chance you AREN’T athletic! You come from a very athletic family!

Just find one or two things you love - dance and softball are great ones - and go for it! Practice as much as you can and play as much as you can. If you love it you’ll put in the work and get better and better! And win some trophies and rings too! But it’s gonna take a lot of work. A lot!

I love dirt bike racing too!

Reactions: Mia

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Well, if your cousin does travel basketball and your sister did travel softball and does travel volleyball, then I would say there’s no chance you AREN’T athletic! You come from a very athletic family!

Just find one or two things you love - dance and softball are great ones - and go for it! Practice as much as you can and play as much as you can. If you love it you’ll put in the work and get better and better! And win some trophies and rings too! But it’s gonna take a lot of work. A lot!

I love dirt bike racing too!
I will definitely try my hardest! i think i might play travel after hs season and i really hope i do cause i’ve always wanted to be able to. I’m saving up money to buy a dirt bike. i’m almost at 500 or 400 i think. thank you so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23